Parents beware: The Choking Game - WSFA.com Montgomery Alabama news.

Parents beware: The Choking Game

Brandon Wroe had everything to live for.

The 12-year-old was a gifted student who loved baseball and was excited about his upcoming birthday.

So it made no sense to anyone why, on the morning of January 7th, Brandon's mom found him hanging in his closet with a sheet wrapped around his neck.

"I checked on him the night before and kissed him. I thought he was asleep. Then to find him the way I did the next morning. I just started screaming. His body was cold. He was gone," recalled Tracy Wilson, Brandon's mom.

Days later at Brandon's memorial his schoolmates started talking about the choking game.

"His best friend came over to the casket and said he was dared to play the game "elevator" and I had no idea what she was talking about," said Tracy Wilson.

Elevator, Blackout, Space Monkey, and Roulette are just some of the names for the choking game.

The goal is to temporarily cut off the blood supply to the brain to feel a high.

Teens now post videos on YouTube and other internet social websites showing themselves playing the game in groups.

One child uses his hands to choke another child.

When kids play it by themselves they will use, ropes, belts or even clothing to bring themselves to the brink of unconsciousness.

"It's cheap. It's easy to do, but unfortunately kids don't understand the consequences of cutting off blood supply to the brain. They can suffer brain damage and within two or three minutes without any blood flow to the brain they die," said Dr. Martin Belson, who works in Pediatric Emergency Medicine.

The Centers For Disease Control did a study about the choking game and concluded at least 82 kids died in the last decade as a result of playing the game.

Dr. Belson believes those numbers are probably low, since many cases can get wrongly tagged as suicides.

Brandon Wroe's cause of death is listed as accidental, but the chief investigator wrote that he died as a result of "curiosity about a childhood game".

According to the CDC, most of the victims who die of the choking game are boys between the ages of 11 and 16.

While the game has been around for a number of years, not everyone knows about it, especially parents.

Brandon's father, Randy Wilson, didn't know about it and he is a Paulding County Sheriff's deputy and a school DARE officer.

He's since looked up everything he can find about the choking game and is pushing to bring a program for kids and adults into area schools.

"Brandon was totally against drugs, he was totally against alcohol. He believed in doing nothing but going to church and doing schoolwork and being a good kid, but a lot of the statistics say it's the really smart kids who do this," said Randy Wilson.

Experts say the choking game is often referred to as "the good kids high" because it's a drug free way to get a rush.

Brandon's parents say their mission now is to make sure all parents know about the choking game and talk to their kids about how dangerous and deadly it is.

"We had to bury our son way too young because of a game. No other parent should ever have to go through what we've been though," said Randy Wilson.

  • Trending StoriesTrending StoriesMore>>

  • After Craigslist scam, man can't enter his own home

    After Craigslist scam, man can't enter his own home

    Saturday, July 22 2017 8:29 PM EDT2017-07-23 00:29:14 GMT
    Saturday, July 22 2017 8:29 PM EDT2017-07-23 00:29:14 GMT

    The people inside rented the home from a mystery person on Craiglist. As the law stands, because they refuse to leave, Keith Mills now has to go to court to prove he’s the rightful owner.

    More >>

    The people inside rented the home from a mystery person on Craiglist while owner Keith Mills was on vacation.. As the law stands, because the renters refuse to leave, Mills now has to go to court to prove he’s the rightful owner.

    More >>
  • Police: Parents gave newborn drugs to cover up addiction

    Police: Parents gave newborn drugs to cover up addiction

    Sunday, July 23 2017 1:52 AM EDT2017-07-23 05:52:55 GMT
    Sunday, July 23 2017 1:52 AM EDT2017-07-23 05:52:55 GMT
    Colby Wilde, 29, and Lacey Christenson, 26, face four counts each of child endangerment and felony drug charges. (Source: Utah County Sherriff’s Office/KUTV/CNN)Colby Wilde, 29, and Lacey Christenson, 26, face four counts each of child endangerment and felony drug charges. (Source: Utah County Sherriff’s Office/KUTV/CNN)

    The baby’s mother used heroin and prescription pain medication during her pregnancy, and the baby was born addicted to drugs, police say.

    More >>

    The baby’s mother used heroin and prescription pain medication during her pregnancy, and the baby was born addicted to drugs, police say.

    More >>
  • Restaurant's policy limits those with kids to one drink

    Restaurant's policy limits those with kids to one drink

    Sunday, July 23 2017 2:50 PM EDT2017-07-23 18:50:46 GMT
    Sunday, July 23 2017 2:50 PM EDT2017-07-23 18:50:46 GMT

    A long-standing rule at Peddlers Bar & Bistro limits anyone dining with children to one alcoholic beverage, in order to hopefully limit the danger children face from drunk drivers.

    More >>

    A long-standing rule at Peddlers Bar & Bistro limits anyone dining with children to one alcoholic beverage, in order to hopefully limit the danger children face from drunk drivers.

    More >>
Powered by Frankly