Supreme Court stays bingo ruling - WSFA.com Montgomery Alabama news.

Supreme Court stays bingo ruling

Gaming machines taken from the White Hall Gaming Center will stay in state custody per a Supreme Court decision. Gaming machines taken from the White Hall Gaming Center will stay in state custody per a Supreme Court decision.

MONTGOMERY, AL (WSFA) - Governor Bob Riley's Task Force on Illegal Gambling has won a key decision in the White Hall bingo raid case.

The Alabama Supreme Court Friday issued an order allowing the state to retain control over the 101 gaming machines and half-million dollars in cash seized in the early morning March 19th raid on the White Hall Gaming Center. The court's move would also allow the state to raid the center again if the Task Force saw fit.

The state had been previously ordered by Judge Mark Kennedy to return the seized property and leave White Hall alone while the case worked its way through the court system, but the his decision was appealed on the challenge that Kennedy should not have presided over the case because of ties to gambling interests.

"Our legal system depends upon impartial and unbiased judges deciding cases," said Governor Riley.  "It is inconceivable that a judge with ties to gambling in the state would think he could act in an unbiased manner in this case, and I am glad that the Supreme Court has decided to examine that question.

"There is no doubt that the machines seized during the raid are illegal slot machines," said Governor Riley.  "To require law enforcement to give back illegal machines to the parties breaking the law would have been a terrible miscarriage of justice.  I salute the Supreme Court for righting this wrong."

White Hall attorney Collins Pettaway immediately issued the following statement via email:

"The court is just trying to take more time so they can give a legal ruling...however it's not giving my clients the protections they need. I really hope the Governor's Task Force will have some sensibilities and not harass us for the sake of harassing.

I hope that the court will weigh heavily my position and the Attorney General's brief that the Governor has no authority in this case."

Governor Bob Riley will be on WSFA 12 News at 6:00 for an interview.

  • NewsMore>>

  • US deports 95-year-old ex-Nazi guard to Germany

    US deports 95-year-old ex-Nazi guard to Germany

    Tuesday, August 21 2018 4:18 AM EDT2018-08-21 08:18:16 GMT
    Wednesday, August 22 2018 1:25 AM EDT2018-08-22 05:25:57 GMT
    The deportation of the 95-year-old former concentration camp guard, Jakiw Palij, came 25 years after investigators first confronted him about his World War II past and he admitted lying to get into the U.S. (Source: Department of Justice)The deportation of the 95-year-old former concentration camp guard, Jakiw Palij, came 25 years after investigators first confronted him about his World War II past and he admitted lying to get into the U.S. (Source: Department of Justice)

    The White House says a 95-year-old former Nazi concentration camp guard has been deported to Germany, 14 years after a judge ordered him deported.

    More >>

    The White House says a 95-year-old former Nazi concentration camp guard has been deported to Germany, 14 years after a judge ordered him deported.

    More >>
  • Trump says he 'won't let' social media target conservatives

    Trump says he 'won't let' social media target conservatives

    Saturday, August 18 2018 9:48 AM EDT2018-08-18 13:48:43 GMT
    Wednesday, August 22 2018 1:22 AM EDT2018-08-22 05:22:08 GMT
    President Donald Trump boards Air Force One at Andrews Air Force Base, Md., Friday, Aug. 17, 2018. (Source: AP Photo/Pablo MartinPresident Donald Trump boards Air Force One at Andrews Air Force Base, Md., Friday, Aug. 17, 2018. (Source: AP Photo/Pablo Martin

    President Donald Trump is accusing social media companies of "totally discriminating against Republican/Conservative voices" and says he "we won't let that happen.".

    More >>

    President Donald Trump is accusing social media companies of "totally discriminating against Republican/Conservative voices" and says he "we won't let that happen.".

    More >>
  • Father of slain Colorado woman sobs, seethes in courtroom

    Father of slain Colorado woman sobs, seethes in courtroom

    Tuesday, August 21 2018 12:15 AM EDT2018-08-21 04:15:23 GMT
    Wednesday, August 22 2018 1:19 AM EDT2018-08-22 05:19:45 GMT
    Christopher Watts, 33, faces three first-degree murder charges, two counts of murdering a child under 12, one count of unlawful termination of a pregnancy and three counts of tampering with a deceased human body. (Source: Weld County Sheriff/KMGH/CNN)Christopher Watts, 33, faces three first-degree murder charges, two counts of murdering a child under 12, one count of unlawful termination of a pregnancy and three counts of tampering with a deceased human body. (Source: Weld County Sheriff/KMGH/CNN)

    The father of two told police in court papers released Monday that he killed his pregnant wife after witnessing her strangling one of the girls on a baby monitor.

    More >>

    The father of two told police in court papers released Monday that he killed his pregnant wife after witnessing her strangling one of the girls on a baby monitor.

    More >>
Powered by Frankly