Termites shut down Boys & Girls Club - WSFA.com Montgomery Alabama news.

Termites shut down Boys & Girls Club

By Mark Bullock - bio | email

HAYNEVILLE, AL (WSFA) - A place that keeps kids busy and out of trouble is no longer open to them. And it's not because of budget cuts. The Hayneville Boys and Girls Club was forced to close its doors because of termites.

Club director Claude Davis showed the damage to WSFA 12 News.

"It's just torn the floor up," he said.

And the damage is now to the point that it could endanger the children's safety, which is why Davis made the difficult decision to shut down.

"There's a threat of kids actually falling through the floor," he explained.

With very few resources, club employees say turning to the public for donations is their only option.

"I'm asking all of those who can help, if they can donate, it would help this club immensely," said club employee Marilyn McCall.

"We need the public to come in with some donations or cash or materials and supplies to help us keep this facility open and going," echoed Davis.

With the public's help, club officials say they hope to open by summer time. That's when they host a ten-week kids camp, which is the only program of its kind in Lowndes County.

If you'd like to help, you can reach the boys and girls club at (334) 548-6055.

Powered by Frankly