ONLY ON WSFA 12 NEWS: Victim speaks out about officer involved shooting - WSFA.com Montgomery Alabama news.

ONLY ON WSFA 12 NEWS: Victim speaks out about officer involved shooting

Posted by: Cody Holyoke - bio | email

MONTGOMERY, Ala (WSFA) -- The answers are still out of reach for Brenda Hamm, who found herself in the middle of crime scene early Thursday morning.

"[My daughter said,] 'Something's wrong with him.  Something's wrong with him.'  And then it just went on from there," Hamm explained.

Hamm says her daughter, Joyce, and a friend--who police say was in his 20s--went to the store.

When they returned to Hamm's apartment, the young man just wasn't acting right.

"He started calling us other people's names, and I ain't ever seen that before--somebody just flip out like that."

Soon after, the young man refused to leave.

"He was coming toward my daughter.  Me and him, we tussled over the knife.  That's how I ended up getting cut, because we tussled over the knife," Hamm explained.

Hamm needed stitches in her right hand.  Her pregnant daughter only suffered a small cut, and the baby is fine.

"I had to protect me and my daughter, so I had to call the police.  I didn't know what else I could do for him," she said.

The man, however, died at the hands of Montgomery Police officers.  After they confronted him, he reportedly grabbed for an officer's gun.

That's when they opened fire.

"I did hear them say, 'Get down.' Next thing I know, I heard some tussling, and I heard some shots," Hamm said.

Though she knows police were doing their job, Hamm wishes the ordeal had a better ending.

"I feel like it could have been handled in a different way, and I feel bad because it's another young black man dead," she explained.

This is the second shooting involving a police officer in less than a week.  The Alabama Bureau of Investigation has control of the case.

©2009 WSFA. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Lewandowski on girl with Down syndrome: 'Wah wah'

Tuesday, June 19 2018 11:35 PM EDT2018-06-20 03:35:12 GMT
    Wednesday, June 20 2018 7:35 AM EDT2018-06-20 11:35:27 GMT
    Corey Lewandowski, a former campaign manager for President Donald Trump, created a stir by dismissing a story about a girl with Down syndrome. (AP Photo/Mark Lennihan)Corey Lewandowski, a former campaign manager for President Donald Trump, created a stir by dismissing a story about a girl with Down syndrome. (AP Photo/Mark Lennihan)

A former campaign manager for Donald Trump has created a stir by dismissing a story about a girl with Down syndrome with a sarcastic "Wah wah."

Trump stands firm on immigration policy, sees it as a winner

Wednesday, June 20 2018 1:21 AM EDT2018-06-20 05:21:15 GMT
    Wednesday, June 20 2018 7:34 AM EDT2018-06-20 11:34:38 GMT
    (AP Photo/Alex Brandon). President Donald Trump speaks in the Hall of Columns as he arrives on Capitol Hill in Washington, Tuesday, June 19, 2018, to rally Republicans around a GOP immigration bill.(AP Photo/Alex Brandon). President Donald Trump speaks in the Hall of Columns as he arrives on Capitol Hill in Washington, Tuesday, June 19, 2018, to rally Republicans around a GOP immigration bill.

Trump sees his immigration policy as a winner with voters ahead of midterm elections in spite of controversy over separating children and parents.

US leaving UN's Human Rights Council, cites anti-Israel bias

Wednesday, June 20 2018 1:21 AM EDT2018-06-20 05:21:04 GMT
    Wednesday, June 20 2018 7:34 AM EDT2018-06-20 11:34:15 GMT
    (AP Photo/Mary Altaffer, File). FILE - In this Jan. 2, 2018, file photo, United States Ambassador to the United Nations Nikki Haley speaks to reporters at United Nations headquarters. Haley says the U.S. is withdrawing from UN Human Rights Council, cal...(AP Photo/Mary Altaffer, File). FILE - In this Jan. 2, 2018, file photo, United States Ambassador to the United Nations Nikki Haley speaks to reporters at United Nations headquarters. Haley says the U.S. is withdrawing from UN Human Rights Council, cal...

The U.S. is leaving the U.N. Human Rights Council, which Ambassador Nikki Haley calls an organization "not worthy of its name."