Editorial: Teacher of the Year - WSFA.com: News Weather and Sports for Montgomery, AL.

Editorial: Teacher of the Year

Posted: Updated:
  • EditorialsMore>>

Guest Editorial: "Responsibility to Pets"

Tuesday, April 22 2014 7:30 PM EDT2014-04-22 23:30:22 GMT
    National Pet Week is coming up in May, a good time to think about domesticated animals and our responsibility to them. In the Montgomery Humane Shelter alone nearly 3,300 animals have been taken in overMore >>

Editorial: "Hands Off!"

Thursday, April 17 2014 7:20 PM EDT2014-04-17 23:20:14 GMT
    Hands off!  That's what every parent of a student wants to say to a teacher, coach or substitute teacher with desires other than educational, related to our children.  This year alone in our area a femaleMore >>
    Hands off!  That's what every parent of a student wants to say to a teacher, coach or substitute teacher with desires other than educational, related to our children.More >>

Editorial: "Triumph and Conquest"

Tuesday, April 15 2014 7:20 PM EDT2014-04-15 23:20:09 GMT
    This week marks the one year anniversary of the Boston Marathon bombings; bombings that claimed the lives of four and injured more than 260 people.  A year ago this week was to be a day of triumph andMore >>
  • Editorials 2013More>>

Editorial: Happy Holidays

Tuesday, December 24 2013 7:15 PM EST2013-12-25 00:15:09 GMT
    Happy Holidays! When I say Happy Holidays to some people they think I am ignoring Christmas and trying to just be politically correct. That couldn't be any further from the truth. I really mean Happy HolidaysMore >>
    Happy Holidays! When I say Happy Holidays to some people they think I am ignoring Christmas and trying to just be politically correct. That couldn't be any further from the truth. I really mean Happy Holidays and that certainly includes Christmas.More >>

Editorial "Viewer Feedback: End the Conversation/Gambling"

Thursday, December 19 2013 7:20 PM EST2013-12-20 00:20:06 GMT
    Our editorial earlier this week asking our legislators to again allow Alabamians to vote "yes" or "no" on legalized gaming elicited the following feedback via emails received and comments on wsfa.com andMore >>

Editorial: "End the Conversation"

Tuesday, December 17 2013 7:20 PM EST2013-12-18 00:20:09 GMT
    What do you say we end the conversation once and for all on legalizing gambling in Alabama and pass legislation next year to let the people of Alabama vote and gamble if they so desire?  This week marksMore >>

I don't know who said it, but I like this twist on that famous George Bernard Shaw quote.

"Those that can, do. Those who believe that others also can, teach."

Last week I was reminded again of why I like teachers so much, when I read the story of a refugee from the Vietnam War, who came to the United States at the age of 6.  She was inspired by educators who helped shape her young mind, and went on to get her bachelors and masters degrees from Auburn University Montgomery, my alma mater, and a school full of inspiring teachers.

Yung Bui-Kincer now teaches Anatomy, Biology and Environmental Science at Booker T. Washington Magnet School in Montgomery.

Last week Bui-Kincer was honored as Alabama's Teacher of the Year by the Alabama Department of Eduation.

I feel sure that she, like most teachers, could be doing something else in her field... making more  money... with better hours... and getting less grief from overbearing parents like me.

I congratulate Bui-Kincer on this achievement and wish her luck as Alabama's nominee for National Teacher of the Year.

Every teacher cannot win an award, but as this school year comes to an end I urge everyone who had a teacher or whose child had a teacher who was inspiring, to do something to show your appreciation.

Powered by WorldNow