These are the unofficial notes of the Montgomery County Board of Education meeting June 23, 2009. The official notes will be posted once they are approved by the board at a later date.
* The board approved the extension of the contract for TCU as a
consultant on the board's ongoing building program.
* The board approved the state guidelines for the new diploma and
credit recovery options known as First Choice. Two additional options were approved for MPS for a diplomas with High and Highest Honors. More information on First Choice is available at http://www.alsde.edu/general/Firstchoicebrochure_2009.pdf.
* The board approved the alternative school options program which will
move the secondary alternative school to the former Paterson Elementary site and the elementary alternative program to the Fews campus.
* The board approved the usual personnel, student expulsion, and
finance reports with a budget amendment. The board also passed a resolution that would issue no more than $15,000,000 in bonds to complete the current construction projects. These no interest bonds are expected to save the district more than $20 million and cut time needed to repay the bonds by more than a decade.
* Interim Superintendent Slagle presented new proposed start and
dismissal times to the board for schools in 09-10. These changes are made necessary by new bus route reimbursement rules that are set by the state Department of Education. The new school start times are still being discussed and the information below is preliminary. Generally, the proposed times are:
o TRADITIONAL elementary schools 8:00 - 3:00
o TRADITIONAL middle/junior schools 7:45 - 2:45
o TRADITIONAL high schools 8:00 - 3:15
o Most magnet schools 8:30 - 3:30
* Baldwin either 7:05 - 2: 15 OR 8:30 - 3:45
* Loveless either 7:15 - 2:25 OR 8:30 - 3:45
* Mr. Slagle also presented a proposal by the City of Montgomery on