MONTGOMERY, July 29, 2009 - The American Red Cross of Central Alabama will offer two opportunities to take its certified nurse assistant training course in September.
A day class will take place Sept. 9-29 from 8:30am- 3pm, and an evening class will take place Sept. 8-Oct. 6 from 5pm-9pm. Both courses will be held at the Red Cross office, 5015 Woods Crossing in Montgomery.
Red Cross nurse assistant training is typically held during the day, and there are a few slots left in the Aug. 6-28 day class; an evening class will be offered in Sept. to accommodate those who are not able to take a day class.
The nurse assistant training program is patient-centered and prepares nurse assistants to work in hospitals, nursing homes, home health and long-term care settings. Coursework includes learning:
- To help people stay independent
- To take vital signs, including blood pressure, respiration and temperature
- To understand and help patients dealing with physical pain
- To be sensitive to patients and their families
- To improve communication skills
- To understand medical terms
- To understand and help patients with a variety of needs
Participants will also get hands-on experience in an actual health care setting and will learn how to conduct a successful job search, create an effective resume and develop interviewing techniques.