Does the IRS owe you money?

Posted by: Mark Bullock - bio | email

MONTGOMERY, Ala. (AP) - The Internal Revenue Service is trying to deliver $1.85 million to Alabamians that it can't locate.

IRS spokesman Dan Boone said the tax agency has about 1,570 refund checks for Alabamians that were returned by the U.S. Postal Service due to errors in the mailing addresses. The average size of the checks is more than $1,180.

Boone said taxpayers who haven't received their refunds from their 2008 tax returns should update their address and then the checks will be sent again.

Updating addresses can be done by going to the IRS' Web site ( and clicking on "Where's My Refund." Or it can be done by calling 1-800-829-1954.

A taxpayer will need a Social Security number, filing status and the amount of the refund shown on the 2008 income tax return.

Copyright 2009. Alabama Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.