TUSCALOOSA, Ala. (AP) - The University of Alabama is going to display its new national championship football trophy at a place where most anyone can see it: Walmart.
The school says the Coaches' Trophy will be on display at a Walmart Supercenter in Tuscaloosa on Saturday and another Walmart store in Gardendale on Sunday.
Fans will be able to get their picture taken with the actual Coaches' Trophy that was presented after the BCS win over Texas. The $30,000 trophy is topped with a football made of Waterford Crystal.
WVUA-TV reports the school will permanently display the trophy on campus. The Walmart stops are part of a sponsorship deal.
WHERE: Saturday, January 9 Sunday, January 10
Supercenter #716 Supercenter #1201
1501 Skyland Blvd. East 890 Odum Road
Tuscaloosa, AL 35405 Gardendale, AL 35071
Noon – 4 p.m. 10 a.m. – 2 p.m.
- The Coaches' Trophy presented by Dr Pepper was awarded on the field to Nick Saban and the Crimson Tide following their victory over Texas at the Citi BCS National Championship on Thursday.
- The trophy being displayed at Walmart is the actual trophy that was presented on the field and the same one which will be given to the University of Alabama for permanent display on campus.
- The ball that sits atop The Coaches' Trophy is made of Waterford® Crystal. The trophy is valued at $30,000 and takes three months to produce.
- The Coaches' Trophy is 34 inches tall and weighs 45 pounds. The ball alone weighs approximately eight pounds.
- Every year, a new trophy is made. The winning school keeps the trophy for permanent display on campus.
- Created in 1986, this is the 24th year the American Football Coaches Association has awarded the trophy to the national champion.
- As presenting sponsor of The Coaches' Trophy, Dr Pepper is partnering with Walmart to host the free public displays on the weekend.