A lawsuit has been filed over the Alabama motel fire that killed four students from the Mississippi University for Women.
Court documents made public Tuesday show the parents of two of the women who died in the fire have filed a wrongful death lawsuit in Jefferson County.
The lawsuit names an owner of the Hoover Days Inn motel where the young women died, plus a maintenance man who investigators say was burning incense in his room, apparently sparking the blaze.
The four victims had come to Birmingham to shop when fire engulfed their motel on Jan. 16, trapping them inside their room.
Authorities say the motel was old and lacked a sprinkler system that could have suppressed the flames.