Fire at St. Bede Catholic Church in Montgomery

Posted by: John Shryock - bio | email

MONTGOMERY, AL (WSFA) - There were some tense moments for workers at St. Bede Catholic Church in Montgomery Wednesday morning after a fire broke out.

Around 40 firefighters responded to the two alarm fire on Atlanta Highway around 11am. It took approximately 30 minutes to extinguished the blaze.

One firefighter was transported to a local hospital. Fire officials on the scene say he broke his ankle.

Fire officials say the blaze appears to be accidental in nature, but an investigation will be conducted. The focus of the blaze investigation is said to be centering on an unattended candle in a room near the sanctuary.

The extent of the damage was not immediately known, but heavy smoke billowed through the entire building and out the front doors. Smoke damage is expected to be heavy.

A school next door to the church was not in danger, officials said, so they did not order an evacuation of any of the 300 students.

Church officials say Wednesday night services are not being cancelled. All programs will go on as scheduled, though they will have to be held in a different location.

©2010 WSFA. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.