Andalusia father pleads in baby's strangulation case - WSFA.com Montgomery Alabama news.

Andalusia father pleads in baby's strangulation case

Robert Seany (Source: Covington Co. Sheriff's Dept.) Robert Seany (Source: Covington Co. Sheriff's Dept.)

ANDALUSIA, AL - An Andalusia man has pleaded guilty to attempted murder charges after trying to stop his two month old daughter's crying by strangling her. Robert Allen Seaney, 22, pleaded guilty Monday to the July, 2008 crime and will be sentenced at a later date by Circuit Court Judge Ashley McKathan. 

District Attorney Greg Gambril, who prosecuted the case for the State, said that he will seek the maximum sentence of life imprisonment for Seaney.  "This is a horrible crime on all levels.  If this baby had died, Mr. Seaney would have been facing a capital murder charge.  Instead, he failed in his attempt and can only be charged with a Class A felony.  There is no excuse for this man's conduct." 

According to District Attorney Gambril, Seaney was charged after rescue workers were called to the defendant's home where they were told that the baby had stopped breathing, but had been resuscitated.  "Paramedics, law enforcement, and medical personnel at Andalusia Regional Hospital all observed signs that the baby had been strangled," Gambril said.  "Hospital personnel also tentatively diagnosed the baby with signs of shaken baby syndrome, being a brain bleed on the infant's frontal lobe."  The infant was taken by helicopter to Sacred Heart Hospital where she was treated over a period of eight days before being released.

"Mr. Seaney was questioned the morning after the incident by Sheriff's Department Investigators Teddie Rae Motley and Wesley Snodgrass.  Over the course of two interviews, Mr. Seaney admitted to strangling the baby with his hands, to wrapping an electrical cord around her neck and choking her, and to shaking the baby violently.  He confessed that the baby actually stopped breathing at one point and that he resuscitated her," Gambril said.  "Mr. Seaney said that he did all these things to try and stop her from crying." 

District Attorney Gambril explained that Mr. Seaney entered into a "blind plea" arrangement.  "This is where the State and the defense agree to what charge the defendant will enter a guilty plea to, but not what the sentence will be.  Instead, the defendant is sentenced by the Court.  To put it a different way, it's as if we took the case to trial and Mr. Seaney was found guilty of Attempted Murder, which would present the same scenario where sentencing is left up to the judge."
 
"In this blind plea arrangement, the only concession that the State made is that we agreed to dismiss a charge of Domestic Violence in the First Degree," Gambril explained.  "Though he could have been convicted of this offense at trial, Mr. Seaney could not have been given any extra time for it as the charge arose out of the same conduct as the attempted murder charge did: trying to kill the child.  In essence, we gave up an additional felony, but no additional time."

Attempted Murder is a Class A felony that carries a minimum sentence of 10 years and a maximum sentence of life imprisonment.  A sentencing date has not yet been set, but is expected to be in August or September.  Seaney is currently being held in custody.

INFORMATION SOURCE: Covington County District Attorney's Office

  • NewsMore>>

  • In reversal, Trump orders halt to his family separation rule

    In reversal, Trump orders halt to his family separation rule

    Wednesday, June 20 2018 11:21 AM EDT2018-06-20 15:21:21 GMT
    Wednesday, June 20 2018 10:33 PM EDT2018-06-21 02:33:57 GMT
    A boy stares out of a heavily tinted bus window leaving a U.S. Customs and Border Protection facility Tuesday in McAllen, TX. (AP Photo/Eric Gay)A boy stares out of a heavily tinted bus window leaving a U.S. Customs and Border Protection facility Tuesday in McAllen, TX. (AP Photo/Eric Gay)

    Trump signs executive order to keep families together at border, says 'zero-tolerance' prosecution policy will continue.

    More >>

    Trump signs executive order to keep families together at border, says 'zero-tolerance' prosecution policy will continue.

    More >>
  • At least 3 "tender age" shelters set up for child migrants

    At least 3 "tender age" shelters set up for child migrants

    Tuesday, June 19 2018 9:12 PM EDT2018-06-20 01:12:25 GMT
    Wednesday, June 20 2018 9:56 PM EDT2018-06-21 01:56:29 GMT
    Nicole Hernandez, of the Mexican state of Guerrero, holds on to her mother as they wait with other families to request political asylum in the United States, across the border in Tijuana, Mexico, on Wednesday, June 13, 2018. (AP Photo/Gregory Bull)Nicole Hernandez, of the Mexican state of Guerrero, holds on to her mother as they wait with other families to request political asylum in the United States, across the border in Tijuana, Mexico, on Wednesday, June 13, 2018. (AP Photo/Gregory Bull)

    Migrant babies and young children are being held in special "tender age" shelters after being taken from their parents at the US-Mexico border.

    More >>

    Migrant babies and young children are being held in special "tender age" shelters after being taken from their parents at the US-Mexico border.

    More >>
  • Peter Fonda apologizes for 'vulgar' Barron Trump tweet

    Peter Fonda apologizes for 'vulgar' Barron Trump tweet

    Wednesday, June 20 2018 5:02 PM EDT2018-06-20 21:02:48 GMT
    Wednesday, June 20 2018 9:32 PM EDT2018-06-21 01:32:27 GMT
    (Photo by Chris Pizzello/Invision/AP, File). FILE - In this Jan. 2, 2018 file photo, Peter Fonda presents the Desert Palm achievement award at the 29th annual Palm Springs International Film Festival in Palm Springs, Calif. Fonda has apologized for a l...(Photo by Chris Pizzello/Invision/AP, File). FILE - In this Jan. 2, 2018 file photo, Peter Fonda presents the Desert Palm achievement award at the 29th annual Palm Springs International Film Festival in Palm Springs, Calif. Fonda has apologized for a l...
    Peter Fonda apologizes for Barron Trump tweet saying first son be ripped from mother's arms.More >>
    Peter Fonda apologizes for Barron Trump tweet saying first son be ripped from mother's arms.More >>
Powered by Frankly