Posted by Tom Ensey - email
The Super Bowl of bass fishing is set to kick off in the River Region this weekend. The top 12 anglers of the year will vie to become the 2010 Toyota Tundra Bassmaster Angler of the Year, and take the accompanying $200,000 top prize.
Organizers have shortened the fishing time each day by 30 minutes and have relaxed some clothing regulations because of the heat.
The BASS Postseason follows a two-tournament format that begins its first leg this Saturday and Sunday with the Ramada Trophy Chase at Lake Jordan in Wetumpka. It finishes next weekend on the Alabama River in Montgomery with the Evan Williams Bourbon Trophy Triumph.
Each of the two-day competitions will be scored on a 50-point sliding scale. First place will receive 50 points in each event while 12th will receive 10.
The top regular-season finisher is Skeet Reese of Auburn, Calif., and three of the top 12 are from Alabama, including Prattville's Russ Lane. Derek Remitz, who is is from Grant, Ala., makes his first appearance in the Postseason and Aaron Martens is from Leeds.
Here is the full field and their final, regular season point totals moving into the Postseason.
1. Skeet Reese, Auburn, Calif. 216
2. Edwin Evers, Talala, Okla. 201
3. Cliff Pace, Petal, Miss. 187
4. Derek Remitz, Grant, Ala. 185
4. Kevin VanDam, Kalamazoo, Mich. 185
6. Terry Butcher, Talala, Okla. 184
7. Tommy Biffle, Wagoner, Okla. 182
8. John Crews, Salem, Va. 181
9. Gary Klein, Weatherford, Texas 177
9. Greg Hackney, Gonzales, La. 177
9. Aaron Martens, Leeds, Ala. 177
9. Russ Lane, Prattville, Ala. 177