Supreme Court opens door for Victoryland raid - WSFA.com Montgomery Alabama news.

Supreme Court opens door for Victoryland raid

MONTGOMERY, Ala. (AP) - The Alabama Supreme Court has refused to reconsider its decision that cleared the way for the Governor's Task Force on Illegal Gambling to raid VictoryLand's electronic bingo casino in Macon County.

The court issued an unanimous order Friday rejecting a request by Macon County officials to reconsider its July 30 decision that allowed the governor's task force to operate in Macon County. Any action by the task force had been on hold pending the Supreme Court's decision.

Task force Commander John Tyson says the task force will enforce the law, but he won't say where or when action will be taken.

VictoryLand's electronic bingo machines are closed and sealed off from public view. Tyson contends the machines are illegal slots, and he says it's against the law to possess slot machines in Alabama, even if they aren't in public view.

VICTORYLAND ISSUED THIS STATEMENT AFTER THE RULING:

We are sincerely disappointed but not surprised by the Supreme Court's latest ruling in the case filed by the Macon County District Attorney against John Tyson.  We are disappointed that Bob Riley and John Tyson believe it is a "victory" to cause the loss of thousands of jobs and millions of dollars in charity fees and tax revenues.  We are disappointed that the citizens and school children of Macon County and Greene County continue to suffer as a result of political shenanigans and self-dealing.  We are disappointed that Riley and Tyson tout "the rule of law" when their actions nullify votes by Macon County and Greene County citizens in favor of electronic bingo, their local district attorneys, and their local sheriffs.  We are disappointed that the Supreme Court's explanation for the reassignment of this case from one justice to another is at odds with other known facts.  

Everyone should note what this decision does and does not mean.  It does not mean that Commander Tyson is authorized to raid any facility in Macon County.  He is required by the rule of law to obtain a search warrant for that purpose.  He cannot proceed under the "plain view doctrine" since electronic bingo has not been offered at VictoryLand since August 8, 2010.  To obtain a warrant, he must convince a judge that there is probable cause for any entry onto the VictoryLand property.  We will continue to insist that our rights against unreasonable search and seizure are protected as guaranteed by the U. S. Constitution. 

While we may be disappointed, we are not downtrodden. No court has ever ruled the electronic bingo machines operated by VictoryLand in Macon County are "illegal slot machines," and nothing Bob Riley and John Tyson say can change that fundamental fact.  We will continue to fight for our employees, and for the citizens and children of Macon County.  We look forward to the day when the reign of King Riley and Commander Tyson ends and Alabama will again be governed by law rather than one man and his confederates.  Fear not: that day is coming soon! 

Copyright 2010 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

  • Trending StoriesTrending StoriesMore>>

  • College student arrested; tried to trade chicken alfredo, Sprite for sex

    College student arrested; tried to trade chicken alfredo, Sprite for sex

    Wednesday, December 13 2017 3:38 PM EST2017-12-13 20:38:04 GMT

    Youngstown State University student Albert Maruna was caught red-handed and arrested this week after he allegedly attempted to have sex with a 15-year-old boy, who turned out to be an undercover officer.  

    More >>

    Youngstown State University student Albert Maruna was caught red-handed and arrested this week after he allegedly attempted to have sex with a 15-year-old boy, who turned out to be an undercover officer.  

    More >>
  • Roy Moore responds after Senate loss to Doug Jones

    Roy Moore responds after Senate loss to Doug Jones

    Wednesday, December 13 2017 10:58 PM EST2017-12-14 03:58:33 GMT
    (Source: Moore campaign)(Source: Moore campaign)

    Roy Moore has released a statement following his loss to Senator-elect Doug Jones in Tuesday's election.  Moore released a video to the people of Alabama. The transcript is below: Tomorrow, my wife and I will celebrate our 32nd wedding anniversary. I want to thank her and all my family, for standing with me through this long and arduous campaign. And of course, I want to thank all of you who have stood with me in this very important battle for the future of our country. We ...

    More >>

    Roy Moore has released a statement following his loss to Senator-elect Doug Jones in Tuesday's election.  Moore released a video to the people of Alabama. The transcript is below: Tomorrow, my wife and I will celebrate our 32nd wedding anniversary. I want to thank her and all my family, for standing with me through this long and arduous campaign. And of course, I want to thank all of you who have stood with me in this very important battle for the future of our country. We ...

    More >>
  • Mother accused of subjecting healthy son to 13 surgeries, needless medical care

    Mother accused of subjecting healthy son to 13 surgeries, needless medical care

    Wednesday, December 13 2017 12:19 PM EST2017-12-13 17:19:53 GMT
    Wednesday, December 13 2017 12:35 PM EST2017-12-13 17:35:01 GMT

    Authorities said Christopher Bowen's mother confined him to wheelchair at various times, and at times, he was fed through a tube in his small intestine.

    More >>

    Authorities said Christopher Bowen's mother confined him to wheelchair at various times, and at times, he was fed through a tube in his small intestine.

    More >>
Powered by Frankly