MONTGOMERY, AL (WSFA) - The Auburn Tigers will have to wait a few more days before they take permanent possession of their $30,000 BCS Championship trophy. It's headed to Wal-Mart.
This isn't the first time the nation's most prestigious football trophy took a trip to the nation's largest retailer. Crimson Tide fans will remember spending hours waiting in line to see their team's trophy at Tuscaloosa area stores.
Auburn's trophy will make stops at Wal-Marts in Montgomery, Auburn and nearby Columbus, Georgia this weekend. It will then go on permanent display at the University.
- Friday (1/14) Montgomery - Chantilly Parkway store from 3-7pm
- Saturday (1/15) Columbus, Ga. - Whittlesey Blvd. store 11-3pm
- Sunday (1/16) Auburn - South College St. store 10-2pm
The tour to area Wal-Marts was part of a sponsorship deal with Dr. Pepper, which aimed to put the trophy in front of as many fans as possible. Those fans will be able to get up close to The Coaches' Trophy and even take pictures with it.
- The ball that sits atop The Coaches' Trophy is made of Waterford® Crystal. The trophy is valued at $30,000 and takes three months to produce.
- The Coaches' Trophy is 34 inches tall and weighs 45 pounds. The ball alone weighs approximately eight pounds.
- Every year, a new trophy is made. The winning school keeps the trophy for permanent display on campus.
- Created in 1986, this is the 25th year the American Football Coaches Association has awarded the trophy to the national champion.
- As presenting sponsor of The Coaches' Trophy, Dr Pepper is partnering with Walmart to host the free public displays on the weekend.