Inauguration Ceremony Information
January 17, 2011
• The Swearing-In Ceremony will include members of the Public Service Commission, members of the State Board of Education, and the Constitutional offices of State Auditor, Commissioner of Agriculture and Industries, Secretary of State, State Treasurer, Attorney General, Lieutenant Governor and Governor.
• Governor Robert Bentley will be sworn-in as the 53rd person to serve as Governor of Alabama.
• Colors will be presented by the Alabama National Guard Color Guard.
• The Stillman College choir will perform "God Bless America" during the ceremony.
• Four F-16 Fight Wings from the 187th Air National Guard will perform the Flyover immediately following The National Anthem. The planes will come from behind the Capitol down Dexter Avenue.
• The 43-piece "151st Army National Guard Band" will perform The National Anthem and The Alabama State Song, "Alabama".
• Following the swearing-in of Governor Robert Bentley The 117th Field Artillery Unit of the Alabama National Guard will present a 19 Gun Salute. (The number 19 is commensurate with the rank of Governor.)
• Alabama State Representative John Knight (D- District 77) and Alabama State Representative Alvin Holmes (D- District 78) will deliver a tribute to Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. to commemorate the Martin Luther King Jr. Holiday.
• Alabama State Supreme Court Justice Sue Bell Cobb will deliver the Oath of Office to Governor Bentley.
• The Bible used to swear-in Governor Bentley is The State Bible. The State Bible was purchased for use by the Executive Department in 1853. It has been used continuously by the state for the inauguration of Alabama governors since that time. On the flyleaf of the Bible is an inscription: "Executive Office, Alabama, 1853."