MONTGOMERY—Alabama State University's men's tennis team hosted Kennesaw State University and Alabama A&M University in a tri-match, and came away with a split.
ASU opened the day hosting KSU with the Owls pulling out a 7-0 win. KSU won all three doubles matches and was also able to win all six singles matches in straight sets.
The Hornets (1-3) turned it around in the night cap against Alabama A&M with a 6-1 win. ASU was able to pick up the doubles point with two forfeit wins at two and three doublesIn singles action, ASU won five of the six matches losing only at one single. The Hornets will be back in action Saturday, Feb. 19 at 10 a.m. when they host Tuskegee University.
Vs. Kennesaw State
(1) Gianni Kubin/Gokalp Ozdemir (KSU) def. Joshua Donaldson/Clifford Frazier (ASU); 8-1
(2) Ryan Spencer/Elliot Kahler (KSU) def. Lance Deleston/Kenneth Haley (ASU); 8-0
(3) Tyler Mills/Ryan Bouttell (KSU) def. Roddrick Ivory/Lex Pierre (ASU); 8-1
(1) Kubin (KSU) def. Pierre (ASU); 6-2, 6-4
(2) Ozdemir (KSU) def. Donaldson (ASU); 6-1, 6-4
(3) Kahler (KSU) def. Frazier (ASU); 6-1, 6-2
(4) Spencer (KSU) def. Ivory (ASU); 6-0, 6-3
(5) Mills (KSU) def. Deleston (ASU); 6-0, 6-0
(6) Boutell (KSU) def. Kenneth Haley; no score given
Vs. Alabama A&M
(1) Desta Sandy/Nicholas Burger (AAMU) def. Donaldson/Frazier (ASU); 8-0
(2) Ivory/Pierre (ASU) won by forfeit
(3) Deleston/Haley (ASU) won by forfeit
(1) Sandy (AAMU) def. Pierre (ASU); 6-4, 6-2
(2) Donaldson (ASU) def. Burger (AAMU); 6-2, 3-6, 6-3
(3) Frazier (ASU) def. Josh Airline (AAMU); 6-0, 6-0
(4) Ivory (ASU) def. Galvin Burks (AAMU); 6-0, 6-0
(5) Deleston (ASU) def. Michael Brown (AAMU); 6-0, 6-0
(6) Kaley (ASU) won by forfeit