AUBURN, AL (WSFA) - Auburn firefighters battled a brush fire on South College Street Thursday evening that started when a power line fell.
The fire was sparked when the line fell behind the Alabama Power Building (formerly the AlaGasco building) near the South College Street Wal-Mart complex. The fallen line caused a power surge that blew a transformer.
The fire department had two issues to deal with. Matt Jordan with AFD said firefighters battled the blaze while the live power line remained on the ground.
Jordan said the situation could have been much worse if wind had been blowing the other direction.
The fire was ultimately extinguished and no damage was reported to the Alabama Power building.