NASHVILLE, Tenn. – The No. 26 Auburn men's tennis team defeated the No. 24 Vanderbilt Commodores, 4-3, at the Currey Tennis Center in Nashville, Tenn. With the win, Auburn is now 10-6 overall and 2-3 in the Southeastern Conference.
"It was a tough match, and they have a tough team," head coach Eric Shore said. "They are ranked ahead of us, and it was nice to get that doubles point. That gave us some momentum going into singles.
"We got off to a good start, went up 4-0, and the last three we weren't able to bring home, but they have a good team I thought we played well. It was a nice end to a long trip."
Auburn started off the doubles action with a win from Alex Stamchev and Andreas Mies. The 46th-ranked duo defeated Charlie Jones and Alex Zotov, 8-5.
The Commodores quickly responded with a win on court number one as Vanderbilt's No. 49 Adam Baker and Ryan Lipman topped Tim Puetz and Daniel Cochrane, 8-6. The Tigers would clinch the doubles point as Lucas Lopasso and Rafael Rondino came away with 8-6 win over Bryant Salcedo and Blake Barzarnik on court three.
In singles, Rondino defeated Vanderbilt's Zotov, 6-2, 6-4. Auburn took a 3-0 lead over the Commodores as No. 121 Mies continued his stellar season with a win over Barzarnik, 6-1, 7-5.
Auburn's No. 31 Puetz clinched the second SEC win for the Tigers with an upset victory over No. 28 Lipman, 6-4, 6-3. However, the Commodores would earn the last three points of the match.
On court two, the Tigers' Tim Hewitt lost to Vanderbilt's Charlie Jones, 6-4, 7-5. In the No. 4 position, Auburn's No. 105 Cochrane was defeated by the Commodores' Salcedo, 6-4, 7-5.
On court three, Vanderbilt's Baker finished off the match with a three-set victory over Auburn's No. 104 Stamchev, 4-6, 7-6, 1-0.
The Tigers will return to action on Saturday, March 26, against Kentucky at the Yarbrough Tennis Center. The match is slated for 1 p.m. and admission is free.
1. No. 31 Tim Puetz (AU) def. No. 28 Ryan Lipman (VU); 6-4, 6-3
2. Charlie Jones (VU) def. Tim Hewitt (AU); 6-4, 7-5
3. Adam Baker (VU) def. No. 104 Alex Stamchev (AU); 4-6, 7-6, 1-0
4. Bryant Salcedo (VU) def. No. 105 Daniel Cochrane (AU); 6-4, 7-5
5. No. 121 Andreas Mies (AU) def. Blake Barzarnik (VU); 6-1, 7-5
6. Rafael Rondino (AU) def. Alex Zotov (VU); 6-2, 6-4
1. No. 49 Adam Baker/Ryan Lipman (VU) def. Tim Puetz/Daniel Cochrane (AU); 8-6
2. No. 46 Alex Stamchev/Andreas Mies (AU) def. Charlie Jones/Alex Zotov (VU); 8-5
3. Lucas Lopasso/Rafael Rondino (AU) def. Bryant Salcedo/Blake Barzarnik (VU); 8-6
Auburn University 10-6 (2-3 SEC); National ranking #26
Auburn University 9-7 (0-5 SEC); National ranking #24