LEXINGTON, KY. – The Auburn women's tennis team (4-13, 0-6 SEC) hit the road Sunday for a match at Kentucky (4-14, 2-4 SEC), falling to the Wildcats, 6-1, in Lexington, KY.
"I am disappointed with today's match," said Auburn head coach Tim Gray. "I have to give Kentucky credit, they came out fired up and it was the difference."
In doubles, the Wildcats came away with victories on all three courts. On court three Auburn's Caroline Thornton and Taylor Cohen dropped their match to the Wildcats' Jessica Stiles and CeCe Witten, 8-3.
On court one, Auburn's Paulina Schippers and Olivia Bennet fell to Kentucky's Megan Broderick and Khristina Blajevitch in a close 8-6 match to clinch the point. In the No. 2 matchup Kentucky's Caitlin McGraw and Marni Venter defeated the Tigers' Plamena Kurteva and Jacquline Kasler, 8-3.
In the No. 1 singles matchup, Schippers lost to No. 112 Broderick of Kentucky, 6-4, 6-2. On court two Auburn's Bennett fell to Stiles, 6-2, 6-4, while the Wildcats' McGraw was overmatched by Auburn's Thornton 7-5, 7-5, on court three for the lone Auburn victory.
In the No. 4 matchup the Tiger's Kurteva was defeated by Blajkevitch, 3-6, 6-0, 6-3, to clinch the match for Kentucky. On court six, Auburn freshmen Cohen dropped her match to the Wildcats' CeCe Witten, 6-2, 6-3 while Kentucky's Venter outlasted the Tigers' Kasler, 6-3, 7-6(5) on court five.
Auburn will return home for a pair of home matches next weekend, taking on LSU on Friday and Arkansas on Sunday. All matches are played at the Yarbrough Tennis Center and admission is free.
Kentucky 6, Auburn 1
1. #112 Megan Broderick (UK) def. Paulina Schippers (AU) 6-4, 6-2
2. Jessica Stiles (UK) def. Olivia Bennett (AU) 6-2, 6-4
3. Caroline Thornton (AU) 6-0, 6-3 def. Caitlin McGraw (UK) 7-5, 7-5
4. Khristina Blajkevitch (UK) def. Plamena Kurteva (AU) 3-6, 6-0, 6-3
5. Marni Venter (UK) def. Jacqueline Kasler (AU) 6-3, 7-6 (5)
6. CeCe Witten (UK) def. Taylor Schreimann (AU) 6-2, 6-3
1.Megan Broderick/Khristina Blajkevitch (UK) def. Olivia Bennett/Paulina Schippers (AU) 8-6
2. Caitlin McGraw (UK) def. Jacqueline Kasler/Plamena Kurteva (AU) 8-3
3. Jessica Stiles/CeCe Witten (Uk) def. Taylor Schreimann/Caroline Thornton (AU) 8-3
Kentucky 4-14, 2-4 SEC
Auburn 4-13, 0-6 SEC
Order of finish: Doubles (3,1,2); Singles (1,2,3,4,6,5)