Huge Apartment Fire Leaves 75 People Homeless

Montgomery Fire Department Investigator G.C. Cremeens says an electrical short in a kitchen appliance started the blaze at Brookview Apartments in north Montgomery Tuesday night. No one was injured in the three-alarm fire that erupted about 7 pm. At least 16 families, about 75 people, were affected by the fire, which caused heavy fire, smoke and water damage to 16 units.

American Red Cross spokeswoman Denise Edmenston says the agency is providing assistance to displaced families. She says only 6 people needed a place to stay Tuesday night, and everyone is getting vouchers to help pay for the things they need. Edmenston says if you would like to help, you can call the American Red Cross to donate at 334-260-3980.