MOBILE, Ala. ----- The No. 3 Auburn University at Montgomery men's tennis team saw its season come to an end on Friday, as it fell to No. 2 Embry-Riddle, 5-4, in the semifinals of the NAIA Men's Tennis National Championship, being played at the Mobile Tennis Center.
The defending national champion Senators, who ended their season with a 25-4 record, trailed after the doubles portion of the match, as the Eagers (17-6) earned victories in two of the three matches.
AUM earned its point at the No. 2 position, as Bruno Savi and Claudio Andrade held on for an 8-6 victory against Patrick Besch and Adrian Bayh. Despite the play of Savi and Andrade, the Senators dropped points at the No. 1 and No. 3 flights. Boris Obama and Loic Didavi fell to Chris Freeman and Jan Hoekzema, 8-5, at the top spot, while Bence Toth and Philipp Mohr were defeated by Peter Francis and Simon Felix at the No. 3 position, 8-2.
In singles play, Didavi and Andrade both won at the No. 4 and No. 6 positions in straight sets, pulling the Senators within striking distance.
Needing a victory, Toth rallied from a first-set deficit at the No. 3 flight, holding off an early charge to defeat Besch, 4-6, 6-0, 6-2 to pull the Senators to even at 4-4.
Savi was the lone member of the team left on the court, but could not hold a first-set lead, falling to Freeman at the No. 1 position, 6-7 (0-6), 7-5, 6-3.
With the win, Embry-Riddle advanced to Saturday's championship match, where it will take on No. 1 Fresno Pacific University.
1. #6 Chris Freeman (ERAU) def. #11 Bruno Savi (AUM) 6-7 (0-6), 7-5, 6-3
2. #12 Jan Hoekzema (ERAU) def. #8 Boris Obama (AUM) 6-3, 6-3
3. #18 Bence Toth (AUM) def. #14 Patrick Besch (ERAU) 4-6, 6-0, 6-2
4. #32 Loic Didavi (AUM) def. #22 Peter Francis (ERAU) 6-2, 6-3
5. #42 Simon Felix (ERAU) def. Zinelabidine Jouini (AUM) 6-1, 6-0
6. Claudio Andrade (AUM) def. Adrian Bayh (ERAU) 6-1, 6-0
1. #4 Chris Freeman/Jan Hoekzema (ERAU) def. #1 Boris Obama/Loic Didavi (AUM) 8-5
2. #9 Bruno Savi/Claudio Andrade (AUM) def. #8 Patrick Besch/Adrian Bayh (ERAU) 8-6
3. Peter Francis/Simon Felix (ERAU) def. Bence Toth/Philipp Mohr (AUM) 8-2
INFORMATION SOURCE: Auburn University at Montgomery Athletics
The New England Patriots say former nose tackle Lester Williams, who started in the franchise's first Super Bowl appearance during the 1985 season, has died. He was 58.More >>
Jeff Davis saw its 2016 football season come to a crushing end at the hands of the McGill-Toolen Yellow Jackets from Mobile, but in 2017, they're looking for experience to lead the way.More >>
The Chick-fil-A restaurant in the Atlanta Falcons' brand-new home stadium will only be open for one game this season.More >>
Former Auburn quarterback and "Last Chance U" alumnus John Franklin III is transferring from Auburn University.More >>
You've likely seen him stalk the sidelines of University of South Carolina Gamecocks football games at Williams-Brice Stadium, but now, wrestling legend Ric Flair needs prayers, his management team said over the weekend.More >>