MOBILE, Ala. ----- The No. 3 Auburn University at Montgomery men's tennis team saw its season come to an end on Friday, as it fell to No. 2 Embry-Riddle, 5-4, in the semifinals of the NAIA Men's Tennis National Championship, being played at the Mobile Tennis Center.
The defending national champion Senators, who ended their season with a 25-4 record, trailed after the doubles portion of the match, as the Eagers (17-6) earned victories in two of the three matches.
AUM earned its point at the No. 2 position, as Bruno Savi and Claudio Andrade held on for an 8-6 victory against Patrick Besch and Adrian Bayh. Despite the play of Savi and Andrade, the Senators dropped points at the No. 1 and No. 3 flights. Boris Obama and Loic Didavi fell to Chris Freeman and Jan Hoekzema, 8-5, at the top spot, while Bence Toth and Philipp Mohr were defeated by Peter Francis and Simon Felix at the No. 3 position, 8-2.
In singles play, Didavi and Andrade both won at the No. 4 and No. 6 positions in straight sets, pulling the Senators within striking distance.
Needing a victory, Toth rallied from a first-set deficit at the No. 3 flight, holding off an early charge to defeat Besch, 4-6, 6-0, 6-2 to pull the Senators to even at 4-4.
Savi was the lone member of the team left on the court, but could not hold a first-set lead, falling to Freeman at the No. 1 position, 6-7 (0-6), 7-5, 6-3.
With the win, Embry-Riddle advanced to Saturday's championship match, where it will take on No. 1 Fresno Pacific University.
1. #6 Chris Freeman (ERAU) def. #11 Bruno Savi (AUM) 6-7 (0-6), 7-5, 6-3
2. #12 Jan Hoekzema (ERAU) def. #8 Boris Obama (AUM) 6-3, 6-3
3. #18 Bence Toth (AUM) def. #14 Patrick Besch (ERAU) 4-6, 6-0, 6-2
4. #32 Loic Didavi (AUM) def. #22 Peter Francis (ERAU) 6-2, 6-3
5. #42 Simon Felix (ERAU) def. Zinelabidine Jouini (AUM) 6-1, 6-0
6. Claudio Andrade (AUM) def. Adrian Bayh (ERAU) 6-1, 6-0
1. #4 Chris Freeman/Jan Hoekzema (ERAU) def. #1 Boris Obama/Loic Didavi (AUM) 8-5
2. #9 Bruno Savi/Claudio Andrade (AUM) def. #8 Patrick Besch/Adrian Bayh (ERAU) 8-6
3. Peter Francis/Simon Felix (ERAU) def. Bence Toth/Philipp Mohr (AUM) 8-2