MOBILE, Ala. ----- The No. 3 Auburn University at Montgomery women's tennis team advanced to the semifinals of the NAIA Women's Tennis National Championship for the 11th consecutive season, as it defeated No. 6 Point Loma Nazarene, 5-2, on Thursday at the Mobile Tennis Center.
With the win, the Lady Senators improved to 25-5 on the season and will now face No. 2 Embry-Riddle on Friday. The Lady Eagles (22-3) defeated No. 7 Concordia to reach the semifinals and set up a date with AUM. Point Loma Nazarene saw its season end with a 20-4 record.
The Lady Senators captured both matches in doubles play, as Ana Veselinovic and Jade Curtis won at the No. 1 position, 8-6, while Morgane Zowczak and Kveta Hajkova earned the victory at the No. 2 spot by the same score.
In singles, Veselinovic rolled the nation's top singles player in Kristin Strimple, 6-1, 6-1, in the No. 1 flight, while Curtis and Alina Tseplukhova also won in straight sets.
The Sea Lions earned their only two points of the match via default wins at the No. 3 doubles position and the No. 6 singles spot.
The Lady Senators will look to avenge a 6-3 defeat to Embry-Riddle earlier this season in Daytona, Fla., on Friday, when the two squads take the court at 1 p.m.
1. #2 Ana Veselinovic (AUM) def. #1 Kristin Strimple (PLN) 6-1, 6-1
2. #13 Jade Curtis (AUM) def. #21 Ashley Litchfield (PLN) 7-5, 6-1
3. #16 Morgane Zowczak (AUM) vs. #42 Jessica Kwan (PLN) 6-4, 5-4, unfinished
4. #25 Kveta Hajkova (AUM) vs. Rachel Owens (PLN) 7-6 (7-3), 3-0, unfinished
5. #36 Alina Tseplukhova (AUM) def. Maika Adair (PLN) 6-0, 6-3
6. Wileen Chiu (PLN) def. No player (AUM), by default
1. Ana Veselinovic/Jade Curtis (AUM) def. #3 Kristin Strimple/Ashley Litchfield (PLN) 8-6
2. Morgane Zowczak/Kveta Hajkova (AUM) def. Rachel Owens/Jessica Kwan (PLN) 8-6
3. Wileen Chiu/Kiersten Steinhauer (PLN) def. No player/No player (AUM), by default