Grant available for controlled burning, mulching of land

MONTGOMERY, AL (WSFA) - Do you own 250 or less forest acres in Alabama? If so the Alabama Forestry Commission says you may be eligible for a new grant.

The AFC has been selected to administer the Prescribed Burning and Hazardous Fuel Reduction Grant for those who are interested in burning 10 to 80 acres or for mulching up to 5 acres of their property.

There are a few stipulations, however. You can't be enrolled in another cost-share program and you must be a private, non-industrial landowner.

Those who qualify can enroll all or part of their property into the program between June 1 and June 30, 2011.

Landowners can apply for the program by printing and completing the application which is available through their local Alabama Forestry Commission office or online at the AFC website:

The funding for this grant is coming from the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act (ARRA) program.

The AFC says prescribed fire is a way to mimic the natural occurrence of fire in southern pine uplands. Mulching or chipping are methods used to reduce understory and ground vegetation with portable equipment.

Copyright 2011 WSFA 12 News. All rights reserved.