MONTGOMERY, AL (WSFA) - Montgomery Public School students head back to class this Monday morning, and as children prepare for the trek a new partnership for safety is being implemented.
The Montgomery Public School System and the Montgomery Police Department are working to keep students safe, particularly at crosswalks.
"Safety is always our first priority," Superintendent Barbara Thompson said, adding that drivers need to be very careful they don't strike any pedestrians.
The concern is heightened because several schools in the system have closed and many students may be walking to a new school for the first time.
Public Safety Director Chris Murphy confirmed his officers will be patrolling school zones, keeping an eye out for speeders and those who pose a danger to pedestrians. "They will also look for people who drive around stopped school buses loading or unloading students," Murphy said.
There are a number of crossing guard location that have been added or changed for the 2011-12 school year.
There's a new crossing guard at Perry Hill and Harrison roads, and a new guard will also be on duty at Harrison Road at the Forest Hills subdivision to protect students walking to Flowers Elementary.
There's also a new crossing guard at Court and Edgemont for Davis Elementary kids, and it will double for students walking to Bellingrath Middle School.
At McGee Road, near the Regions Bank, a new crossing guard will help Dannelly Elementary children.
There will not be guard stationed at Fairview Avenue and Mobile Drive this year.
SCHOOL CROSSING CLOSURES
- Mobile Drive @ Fairview Avenue
- S. Court Street @ Huntley Drive
- S. Court Street @ Collinwood Drive
- E.S. Boulevard Service Road @ Tunnel
- Mobile Road @ Hill Street
- Clay Street @ Conecuh
- Wares Ferry Road @ Entrance to the school
NEW SCHOOL CROSSINGS
- S. Court Street @ W. Patton Avenue
- S. Court Street @ W. Edgemont Avenue
- Harrison Road @ Green Ridge Road
- Perry Hill Road @ Beth Manor Drive
- McGehee Road @ Governor's Drive
- Dresden Drive @ Fieldcrest Drive
- Bellview Street @ School Exit
- Early Street @ Oak Street
Parents with questions about bus transportation can email email@example.com or they can call 334-223-6900.
Parents should talk to their children about safety and warn them to cross streets only at designated intersections.