RUSSELL CO., AL (WSFA) - Russell County authorities are advising its senior citizens to be on the look out for a lottery scam going around in the community.
The lottery scam targets the elderly by sending a letter or phone call saying that you have just won one million dollars. Then all you have to do is share personal information and send in $100 before your able to collect your winnings.
The Russell County Sheriff's Office is urging its residents to look out for these types of scams right now. There are a few tips that you should look out for to tell if you are potentially getting scammed.
You know it's a scam if...
- You did not buy a ticket or enter any type of lottery.
- You can't find the company name on any web search or by asking around.
- If the letter or caller claims you were chosen at random to win.
- You are asked to pay an advanced fee before you can collect your money.
- You can't find a street address--only a P.O. Box is listed.
- You have to give personal information before the winning can take place.
The sheriff's department says if something doesn't seem right , it is always okay to double check and call the proper authorities.