Dog Chapman's grandson makes emotional calls - WSFA.com Montgomery Alabama news.

Dog Chapman's grandson makes emotional calls

Beth & Duane Chapman Beth & Duane Chapman
Travis Mimms Travis Mimms
James Lewis James Lewis

By Tim Sakahara - bio | email

HONOLULU (HawaiiNewsNow) - Custody disputes can get heated especially one with reality star Duane Dog Chapman.  The dispute has been going on nearly a month and it's been escalated with all the audio recordings that have been released.

PHOTO GALLERY

View slideshow of Dog Chapman interview.

The Chapman's were shocked when they heard their 9 year old grandson getting repeatedly spanked with a belt.  It's also what helped dog get temporary custody over the boy last Friday.

Early Wednesday morning there was more drama from inside Chapman's house. The boy called his father Travis Mimms Sr. after midnight and left an emotional voicemail.

"I love you dad. I want to go home. I don't like it here."

Five minutes later the boy calls back and this time his father Travis Mimms answers.

"What's happening?  What are they trying to do to you?" asks Mimms.

"They're trying to take me out to go kart and give me candy," said the boy.

"It almost sounds like he's feeling pressured to stay with his grandparents because they're giving him these things," said James Lewis, Mimms' attorney.

A telling part of the phone conversation comes next.

"Are they hurting you?" asks big Travis.

"No," responds the boy.

"What you can hear from his voice is that he wants to be home," said Lewis. "The child wants to come home. To deprive the child of that could be construed negatively on the Chapman's."

What could also be construed negatively are other heated phone conversations between Dog and Mimms.

"I have never done anything to hurt my f------ child," said Mimms, during a call with Chapman on October 9.  "I have never hurt my f------ child. I have never even left a mark on my f------ child damn it."

Then there is what sounds like a threat to the neighbors that recorded the original audio of the beating.

"I'm sure as f--- going to hurt some neighbors upstairs though," said Mimms.

Dog is no stranger to drama and the custody case over his grandson is no different.  He sat down with Entertainment Tonight to talk about the situation.

"I was in LA. We were at Gene Simmons' wedding and we got the tape emailed to me. It was overwhelming to me and instantly I got mad and I thought I can't wait to get my hands around big Travis' throat. I'm trained enough to know not to do that," said Chapman, with Entertainment Tonight.  "This is my love, my little grandson."

Both sides go to court Friday over a temporary restraining order filed by Mimms and his roommates for the Chapman's to stay away.

There is another hearing set for November 4 to discuss the custody dispute.  Lewis says he has issued a subpoena for the Child Welfare Services investigator on the case to testify.

"His recommendation is that the child return home and that there was no finding of abuse," said Lewis.

Child Welfare Services would not comment on the case.

The Honolulu Police Department is investigating.

Copyright 2011 Hawaii News Now. All rights reserved.

Conservative theologians accuse pope of spreading heresy

Saturday, September 23 2017 5:57 PM EDT2017-09-23 21:57:05 GMT
    Saturday, September 23 2017 11:18 PM EDT2017-09-24 03:18:06 GMT
    Pope Francis waves during his general audience a the Vatican Sept. 20..Dozens of theologians, priests and academics accuse him of spreading heresy with his 2016 opening to divorced and civilly married Catholics. (L'Osservatore Romano/Pool Photo via AP)Pope Francis waves during his general audience a the Vatican Sept. 20..Dozens of theologians, priests and academics accuse him of spreading heresy with his 2016 opening to divorced and civilly married Catholics. (L'Osservatore Romano/Pool Photo via AP)

Several dozen tradition-minded Roman Catholic theologians, priests and academics have formally accused Pope Francis of spreading heresy with his 2016 opening to divorced and civilly remarried Catholics.

New earthquake, magnitude 6.1, shakes jittery Mexico

Saturday, September 23 2017 12:36 AM EDT2017-09-23 04:36:18 GMT
    Saturday, September 23 2017 11:17 PM EDT2017-09-24 03:17:59 GMT

In the stylish Condesa neighborhood young revelers typically spill out from dimly lit bars and restaurants on a Friday night. But the first weekend since the 7.1-magnitude earthquake toppled buildings just blocks away began on a somber note.

South Korea says natural North Korea earthquake detected

Saturday, September 23 2017 5:56 AM EDT2017-09-23 09:56:13 GMT
    Saturday, September 23 2017 11:17 PM EDT2017-09-24 03:17:32 GMT

South Korea's weather agency says a magnitude 3.0 earthquake was detected in North Korea around where the country recently conducted a nuclear test, but it assessed the quake as natural.