Dog Chapman's grandson makes emotional calls - WSFA.com Montgomery Alabama news.

Dog Chapman's grandson makes emotional calls

Beth & Duane Chapman Beth & Duane Chapman
Travis Mimms Travis Mimms
James Lewis James Lewis

By Tim Sakahara - bio | email

HONOLULU (HawaiiNewsNow) - Custody disputes can get heated especially one with reality star Duane Dog Chapman.  The dispute has been going on nearly a month and it's been escalated with all the audio recordings that have been released.

PHOTO GALLERY

View slideshow of Dog Chapman interview.

The Chapman's were shocked when they heard their 9 year old grandson getting repeatedly spanked with a belt.  It's also what helped dog get temporary custody over the boy last Friday.

Early Wednesday morning there was more drama from inside Chapman's house. The boy called his father Travis Mimms Sr. after midnight and left an emotional voicemail.

"I love you dad. I want to go home. I don't like it here."

Five minutes later the boy calls back and this time his father Travis Mimms answers.

"What's happening?  What are they trying to do to you?" asks Mimms.

"They're trying to take me out to go kart and give me candy," said the boy.

"It almost sounds like he's feeling pressured to stay with his grandparents because they're giving him these things," said James Lewis, Mimms' attorney.

A telling part of the phone conversation comes next.

"Are they hurting you?" asks big Travis.

"No," responds the boy.

"What you can hear from his voice is that he wants to be home," said Lewis. "The child wants to come home. To deprive the child of that could be construed negatively on the Chapman's."

What could also be construed negatively are other heated phone conversations between Dog and Mimms.

"I have never done anything to hurt my f------ child," said Mimms, during a call with Chapman on October 9.  "I have never hurt my f------ child. I have never even left a mark on my f------ child damn it."

Then there is what sounds like a threat to the neighbors that recorded the original audio of the beating.

"I'm sure as f--- going to hurt some neighbors upstairs though," said Mimms.

Dog is no stranger to drama and the custody case over his grandson is no different.  He sat down with Entertainment Tonight to talk about the situation.

"I was in LA. We were at Gene Simmons' wedding and we got the tape emailed to me. It was overwhelming to me and instantly I got mad and I thought I can't wait to get my hands around big Travis' throat. I'm trained enough to know not to do that," said Chapman, with Entertainment Tonight.  "This is my love, my little grandson."

Both sides go to court Friday over a temporary restraining order filed by Mimms and his roommates for the Chapman's to stay away.

There is another hearing set for November 4 to discuss the custody dispute.  Lewis says he has issued a subpoena for the Child Welfare Services investigator on the case to testify.

"His recommendation is that the child return home and that there was no finding of abuse," said Lewis.

Child Welfare Services would not comment on the case.

The Honolulu Police Department is investigating.

Copyright 2011 Hawaii News Now. All rights reserved.

Congress releases redacted, declassified Democratic memo

Saturday, February 24 2018 4:45 PM EST2018-02-24 21:45:36 GMT
    Saturday, February 24 2018 5:15 PM EST2018-02-24 22:15:31 GMT
    The White House objected to its release Feb. 9, citing national security concerns. Democrats have since negotiated with the FBI on what should be blacked out.The White House objected to its release Feb. 9, citing national security concerns. Democrats have since negotiated with the FBI on what should be blacked out.

Congress has released a redacted, declassified memo that aims to counter GOP allegations that the FBI abused government surveillance powers.

After years of dejection, proponents of gun laws see hope

Saturday, February 24 2018 10:35 AM EST2018-02-24 15:35:23 GMT
    Saturday, February 24 2018 5:07 PM EST2018-02-24 22:07:35 GMT
    The progression has become numbingly repetitive - mass bloodshed unleashed by a gunman, followed by the stories of the fallen, the funerals and mourning. (Source: AP Photos)The progression has become numbingly repetitive - mass bloodshed unleashed by a gunman, followed by the stories of the fallen, the funerals and mourning. (Source: AP Photos)

"Our kids have started a revolution:" Teens' activism after Florida school shooting has some hopeful for action on gun policy.

Attorneys seek information on aborted Alabama execution

Friday, February 23 2018 3:04 AM EST2018-02-23 08:04:29 GMT
    Saturday, February 24 2018 5:07 PM EST2018-02-24 22:07:11 GMT
    (Alabama Department of Corrections via AP). This image provided by the Alabama Department of Corrections shows Doyle Lee Hamm, an inmate scheduled to be executed Thursday, Feb. 22, 2018 in Alabama. Alabama is set to execute Hamm, who argues his past dr...(Alabama Department of Corrections via AP). This image provided by the Alabama Department of Corrections shows Doyle Lee Hamm, an inmate scheduled to be executed Thursday, Feb. 22, 2018 in Alabama. Alabama is set to execute Hamm, who argues his past dr...
    Alabama postpones execution of inmate with damaged veins.More >>