Long time Pike Co. business destroyed in fire - WSFA.com Montgomery Alabama news.

Long time Pike Co. business destroyed in fire

Source: Shannon Smith Reaves Source: Shannon Smith Reaves
Source: WSFA Source: WSFA

A business that's been part of the Pike County community for more than 50 years was destroyed in a large fire Wednesday morning.

Multiple units including firefighters from Troy, Goshen, Brundidge, Ozark and elsewhere battled the flames, but in the end Adams Glass Studio was a complete loss.

The business, located on Highway 231 about five miles from Troy, has been the focus of firefighters' attention most of the day. Late in the afternoon they were still working to put out hotspot fires.

Thick smoke and heavy fire engulfed the decorative glass business and 231 had to be closed to traffic while units fought the blaze. With a tin roof and the structure fully engulfed, units had a challenge on their hands. They couldn't safely enter the building, so they continued battling the flames from the parking lot.

Sam Adams said there were a lot of family memories tied up in the business, but he was thankful no one was hurt. Gone are the building, the business and "a lot of items that are irreplaceable from our family," he lamented. 

Adams said the business started in 1953 selling peanuts, pecans and other candies. "Through the years it kinda morphed into a gas station, country store," Adams said of his father's business. "My dad's artwork has been the primary thing for the last several decades."

More than 40 firefighters were on scene to battle the blaze. Preliminary reports indicate that a stove fire got out of control. "They had built a fire in the stove...and the fire got up into the attic," an official said.

Owner Charles Adams was inside the studio when the fire started, but he made it out safely.

Sam Adams says the first thing to do is to clean up, but they're still trying to figure out the next part.

Copyright 2011 WSFA. All rights reserved.

Powered by Frankly