Report: Kids with lighter caused fatal fire - WSFA.com Montgomery Alabama news.

Report: Kids with lighter caused fatal fire

UNION SPRINGS, AL (WSFA) -

The apartment fire responsible for taking the lives of three young children in Union Springs back on November 28 has been ruled accidental, according to the State Fire Marshal's Office.

The investigation came to a close as investigators determined the fire started on a sofa in the den area of the apartment.   

Four year old twins JaDarius and JaLaya Smith and 13 month old Ta'Nyah Shell were all killed in the fire at 830 Peachburg Road in Union Springs.

The mother of the twins, Shemeka Smith, was also babysitting for the younger child at the time of the fire but had left the children alone briefly to visit a neighbor. 

Alabama State Fire Ed Paulk attributes the fire's cause to, "a child playing with a lighter." 

Union Springs Police and Fire Departments as well as investigators from the District Attorney's Office and the state Fire Marshal's Office have referred the case to the District Attorney for submittal to a Grand Jury to consider possible criminal charges.

Copyright 2011 WSFA 12 News. All rights reserved.


RELATED STORIES

Powered by Frankly