New Recycling Facility in the works - WSFA.com Montgomery Alabama news.

New Recycling Facility in the works

MONTGOMERY, AL (WSFA) -

This agreement will reduce the amount of garbage going to the landfill, save the city money and help with the city's effort to stay green.

"It was costing us a million dollars and unfortunately only 25% of those bags ever made it to recycling; not because we didn't want to, we just didn't have the capacity. This really does put us back in the green arena being able to recycle up to 95% of our waste," Montgomery Mayor Todd Strange said.

This is the first time for such a high recycling percentage because of a new technology and a new recycling facility that's expected to be up and running in the next two years.

"It was sort of good timing for us. And a good timing for the city," Imperium Companies President Kyle Mowitz said.

In the past with curbside recycling pickup, you had to use those orange bags for certain items. Until the plant is operational you'll still have to separate your recyclables and take them to one of these large containers stationed around town. When the plant is running, it all goes into the big green cans and hauled to the new facility where 95% of it will be recycled, only the remaining 5% will go into the landfill.

"And in addition to that you are bringing valuable industry and jobs to the city. This facility we will look to employ about 20-25 people permanently," Mowitz said.

Officials say this recycling center will be the only Imperium companies facility in the U.S.; the other two are in France and Belgium.

And in case your wondering, the curbside recycling will not increase your garbage rates.

Here's an interesting fact: the new facility will have the capacity to recycle up to 210,000 tons a year, far more than the city currently generates.

Copyright 2012  WSFA 12 News.  All rights reserved.

  • NewsMore>>

  • Unsafe bleachers forcing Billingsley football team to play games on road

    Unsafe bleachers forcing Billingsley football team to play games on road

    Tuesday, August 22 2017 12:31 AM EDT2017-08-22 04:31:00 GMT
    (Sources: WSFA 12 News)(Sources: WSFA 12 News)

    Billingsley High School will be forced to play all of its football games this season on the road due to structural issues to the bleachers at Mims Field.

    More >>

    Billingsley High School will be forced to play all of its football games this season on the road due to structural issues to the bleachers at Mims Field.

    More >>
  • Arrest made in Bragg Street shooting in Montgomery

    Arrest made in Bragg Street shooting in Montgomery

    Monday, August 21 2017 11:29 PM EDT2017-08-22 03:29:36 GMT
    Curtis London (Source: Montgomery County Jail)Curtis London (Source: Montgomery County Jail)
    Montgomery police have made an arrest in the Sunday morning Bragg Street shooting of 23-year-old Marcus Cooley. Curtis London, 29, of Montgomery has been arrested and charged with capital murder says Cpt. Regina Duckett. It was around 3:30 a.m. Sunday when both the Montgomery Police Department and Fire Medics responded to a subject shot in the 1200 block of Bragg Street. Upon arrival, authorities found Cooley, who had sustained a fatal gunshot wound and was pronounced dead at t...More >>
    Montgomery police have made an arrest in the Sunday morning Bragg Street shooting of 23-year-old Marcus Cooley. Curtis London, 29, of Montgomery has been arrested and charged with capital murder says Cpt. Regina Duckett. It was around 3:30 a.m. Sunday when both the Montgomery Police Department and Fire Medics responded to a subject shot in the 1200 block of Bragg Street. Upon arrival, authorities found Cooley, who had sustained a fatal gunshot wound and was pronounced dead at t...More >>
  • Alex City Rescue Squad, ALEA searching for missing boater on Lake Martin

    Alex City Rescue Squad, ALEA searching for missing boater on Lake Martin

    Monday, August 21 2017 11:03 PM EDT2017-08-22 03:03:10 GMT
    (Source: WSFA 12 News)(Source: WSFA 12 News)

    The Alabama Law Enforcement Agency is assisting the Alex City Rescue Squad in an ongoing search on Lake Martin.

    More >>

    The Alabama Law Enforcement Agency is assisting the Alex City Rescue Squad in an ongoing search on Lake Martin.

    More >>
Powered by Frankly