Trent Richardson grants Hueytown senior's prom wish - WSFA.com Montgomery Alabama news.

Trent Richardson grants Hueytown senior's prom wish

Courtney tries out a hairdo for the prom later this week. Source: Reporter Vanessa Araiza Courtney tries out a hairdo for the prom later this week. Source: Reporter Vanessa Araiza

On the surface, 17-year-old Courtney Alvis looks like your everyday teenager. She's two days shy of her senior prom and testing a new do at the salon. But getting to this point hasn't been easy.

"I have heard of leukemia but I wanted to make sure that was cancer. So I was like, "Are you telling me I have cancer?' and he was like, "It could be cancer,'" she said.

And it was. At just 16-years-old and a junior at Hueytown High School, Courtney's life drastically changed.

"I couldn't drive. I couldn't go to school or even go to the mall or out to eat because of germs," she said.

And her junior prom? Her doctor said she could go but with a few more accessories than the norm.

"I would have to wear a mask and rubber gloves and not touch anybody and that wasn't for me."

After a year filled with chemo treatments, the loss of her hair, and getting back to a healthy bounce, she's determined to make it to her senior prom. But not without some apprehension.

"I wasn't comfortable with my body and of course I didn't have long pretty hair to fix and also I didn't have a date."

That's until her uncle, who has some Alabama connections, spread the word. That word got to Trent Richardson.

"I'm really excited but I'm also nervous. I've watched Trent all the time on TV, and he's going to be coming to prom with me."

The hair and the gown and of course, the hunky date are making Courtney's mom, Stephanie, smile. But it's the glimpse of freedom for her daughter that means the most.

"She's walking without a walker right now and she's planning on dancing Saturday night. You can't get any better than that."

Copyright 2012 WBRC. All rights reserved.

DOJ looks into how AT&T, Verizon handle defecting customers

Friday, April 20 2018 7:43 PM EDT2018-04-20 23:43:53 GMT
    Saturday, April 21 2018 5:56 AM EDT2018-04-21 09:56:18 GMT
    The Justice Department is investigating AT&T, Verizon and a standards-setting group. (Source: Raycom Media)The Justice Department is investigating AT&T, Verizon and a standards-setting group. (Source: Raycom Media)

The Justice Department has opened an antitrust investigation into whether AT&T and Verizon and a standards-setting group worked together to hinder consumers from easily switching wireless carriers.

Jeb Bush to eulogize mother, Barbara, in private service

Saturday, April 21 2018 12:04 AM EDT2018-04-21 04:04:04 GMT
    Saturday, April 21 2018 5:56 AM EDT2018-04-21 09:56:11 GMT
    (AP Photo/Evan Vucci). Mourners pause as former U.S. first lady Barbara Bush lies in repose during the visitation of former first lady Barbara Bush at St. Martin's Episcopal Church, Friday, April 20, 2018, in Houston.(AP Photo/Evan Vucci). Mourners pause as former U.S. first lady Barbara Bush lies in repose during the visitation of former first lady Barbara Bush at St. Martin's Episcopal Church, Friday, April 20, 2018, in Houston.

As the outpouring of tributes continues for Barbara Bush, the general public can pay its respects to the former first lady.

4 Palestinians killed by Israeli fire in Gaza border protest

Saturday, April 21 2018 1:44 AM EDT2018-04-21 05:44:10 GMT
    Saturday, April 21 2018 5:55 AM EDT2018-04-21 09:55:53 GMT
    (AP Photo/Adel Hana). Palestinian protesters evacuate a wounded youth during clashes with Israeli troops along Gaza's border with Israel, east of Khan Younis, Gaza Strip, Friday, April 20, 2018. Thousands of Palestinians joined the fourth weekly protes...(AP Photo/Adel Hana). Palestinian protesters evacuate a wounded youth during clashes with Israeli troops along Gaza's border with Israel, east of Khan Younis, Gaza Strip, Friday, April 20, 2018. Thousands of Palestinians joined the fourth weekly protes...

Gaza health officials say 4 Palestinians, including 15-year-old boy, killed by Israeli army fire as thousands join fourth weekly protests on Gaza border.