Trent Richardson grants Hueytown senior's prom wish - WSFA.com Montgomery Alabama news.

Trent Richardson grants Hueytown senior's prom wish

Courtney tries out a hairdo for the prom later this week. Source: Reporter Vanessa Araiza Courtney tries out a hairdo for the prom later this week. Source: Reporter Vanessa Araiza

On the surface, 17-year-old Courtney Alvis looks like your everyday teenager. She's two days shy of her senior prom and testing a new do at the salon. But getting to this point hasn't been easy.

"I have heard of leukemia but I wanted to make sure that was cancer. So I was like, "Are you telling me I have cancer?' and he was like, "It could be cancer,'" she said.

And it was. At just 16-years-old and a junior at Hueytown High School, Courtney's life drastically changed.

"I couldn't drive. I couldn't go to school or even go to the mall or out to eat because of germs," she said.

And her junior prom? Her doctor said she could go but with a few more accessories than the norm.

"I would have to wear a mask and rubber gloves and not touch anybody and that wasn't for me."

After a year filled with chemo treatments, the loss of her hair, and getting back to a healthy bounce, she's determined to make it to her senior prom. But not without some apprehension.

"I wasn't comfortable with my body and of course I didn't have long pretty hair to fix and also I didn't have a date."

That's until her uncle, who has some Alabama connections, spread the word. That word got to Trent Richardson.

"I'm really excited but I'm also nervous. I've watched Trent all the time on TV, and he's going to be coming to prom with me."

The hair and the gown and of course, the hunky date are making Courtney's mom, Stephanie, smile. But it's the glimpse of freedom for her daughter that means the most.

"She's walking without a walker right now and she's planning on dancing Saturday night. You can't get any better than that."

Copyright 2012 WBRC. All rights reserved.

Zimbabwe leader calls assassination attempt 'cowardly act'

Saturday, June 23 2018 9:45 AM EDT2018-06-23 13:45:14 GMT
    Sunday, June 24 2018 4:56 AM EDT2018-06-24 08:56:36 GMT
    Zimbabwe state media report explosion at president's campaign rally; Mnangagwa not hurt. (Source: AP Photos)Zimbabwe state media report explosion at president's campaign rally; Mnangagwa not hurt. (Source: AP Photos)

Administration seeks to expand immigrant family detention

Saturday, June 23 2018 12:26 AM EDT2018-06-23 04:26:10 GMT
    Sunday, June 24 2018 4:56 AM EDT2018-06-24 08:56:15 GMT
    (AP Photo/Eric Gay, File). FILE - In this July 31, 2014, file photo, an artificial turf soccer field sits in the middle of the Karnes County Residential Center in Karnes City, Texas. The immigration detention facility has been retooled to house adults ...(AP Photo/Eric Gay, File). FILE - In this July 31, 2014, file photo, an artificial turf soccer field sits in the middle of the Karnes County Residential Center in Karnes City, Texas. The immigration detention facility has been retooled to house adults ...

The Trump administration is calling for the expanded use of family detention for immigrant parents and children who are stopped along the U.S.-Mexico border.

Zsa Zsa, the English bulldog, wins World's Ugliest Dog title

Sunday, June 24 2018 12:36 AM EDT2018-06-24 04:36:02 GMT
    Sunday, June 24 2018 4:54 AM EDT2018-06-24 08:54:52 GMT
    (AP Photo/Jeff Chiu). Zsa Zsa, an English Bulldog owned by Megan Brainard, stands onstage after being announced the winner of the World's Ugliest Dog Contest at the Sonoma-Marin Fair in Petaluma, Calif., Saturday, June 23, 2018.(AP Photo/Jeff Chiu). Zsa Zsa, an English Bulldog owned by Megan Brainard, stands onstage after being announced the winner of the World's Ugliest Dog Contest at the Sonoma-Marin Fair in Petaluma, Calif., Saturday, June 23, 2018.

A 9-year-old English bulldog was named the winner of the 2018 World's Ugliest Dog contest in the San Francisco Bay Area.