Trent Richardson grants Hueytown senior's prom wish - WSFA.com Montgomery Alabama news.

Trent Richardson grants Hueytown senior's prom wish

Courtney tries out a hairdo for the prom later this week. Source: Reporter Vanessa Araiza Courtney tries out a hairdo for the prom later this week. Source: Reporter Vanessa Araiza

On the surface, 17-year-old Courtney Alvis looks like your everyday teenager. She's two days shy of her senior prom and testing a new do at the salon. But getting to this point hasn't been easy.

"I have heard of leukemia but I wanted to make sure that was cancer. So I was like, "Are you telling me I have cancer?' and he was like, "It could be cancer,'" she said.

And it was. At just 16-years-old and a junior at Hueytown High School, Courtney's life drastically changed.

"I couldn't drive. I couldn't go to school or even go to the mall or out to eat because of germs," she said.

And her junior prom? Her doctor said she could go but with a few more accessories than the norm.

"I would have to wear a mask and rubber gloves and not touch anybody and that wasn't for me."

After a year filled with chemo treatments, the loss of her hair, and getting back to a healthy bounce, she's determined to make it to her senior prom. But not without some apprehension.

"I wasn't comfortable with my body and of course I didn't have long pretty hair to fix and also I didn't have a date."

That's until her uncle, who has some Alabama connections, spread the word. That word got to Trent Richardson.

"I'm really excited but I'm also nervous. I've watched Trent all the time on TV, and he's going to be coming to prom with me."

The hair and the gown and of course, the hunky date are making Courtney's mom, Stephanie, smile. But it's the glimpse of freedom for her daughter that means the most.

"She's walking without a walker right now and she's planning on dancing Saturday night. You can't get any better than that."

Copyright 2012 WBRC. All rights reserved.

Judge: President can't block critics on Twitter

Wednesday, May 23 2018 1:43 PM EDT2018-05-23 17:43:15 GMT
    Wednesday, May 23 2018 4:04 PM EDT2018-05-23 20:04:02 GMT
    A federal judge in New York says President Donald Trump cannot block his critics on Twitter without violating the First Amendment. (Source: CNN)A federal judge in New York says President Donald Trump cannot block his critics on Twitter without violating the First Amendment. (Source: CNN)

Pompeo: Fate of US-NKorea summit rests with Kim Jong Un

Wednesday, May 23 2018 12:44 AM EDT2018-05-23 04:44:27 GMT
    Wednesday, May 23 2018 4:03 PM EDT2018-05-23 20:03:45 GMT
    (AP Photo/Evan Vucci). President Donald Trump meets with South Korean President Moon Jae-In in the Oval Office of the White House, Tuesday, May 22, 2018, in Washington.(AP Photo/Evan Vucci). President Donald Trump meets with South Korean President Moon Jae-In in the Oval Office of the White House, Tuesday, May 22, 2018, in Washington.

The June 12 summit, planned for Singapore, offers a historic chance for peace on the peninsula - but also the risk of an epic diplomatic failure that would allow the North to revive and advance its nuclear weapons program.

Philip Roth, fearless and celebrated author, dies at 85

Wednesday, May 23 2018 12:03 AM EDT2018-05-23 04:03:23 GMT
    Wednesday, May 23 2018 4:02 PM EDT2018-05-23 20:02:54 GMT
    (AP Photo/Richard Drew, File). FILE - In this Sept. 8, 2008, file photo, author Philip Roth poses for a photo in the offices of his publisher, Houghton Mifflin, in New York. Roth, prize-winning novelist and fearless narrator of sex, religion and mortal...(AP Photo/Richard Drew, File). FILE - In this Sept. 8, 2008, file photo, author Philip Roth poses for a photo in the offices of his publisher, Houghton Mifflin, in New York. Roth, prize-winning novelist and fearless narrator of sex, religion and mortal...

Author of more than 25 books,  Philip Roth won virtually every literary honor, including the Pulitzer Prize for "American Pastoral."