Phoenix woman warns of online dating scam - WSFA.com Montgomery Alabama news.

Phoenix woman warns of online dating scam

© CBS 5 © CBS 5
PHOENIX (CBS5) -

A Valley woman who became a victim of an online scam is sharing her story in hopes that what happened to her doesn't happen to anyone else.

Like many before her, Jill Walker was looking for love online. She was using myyearbook.com as a dating site and thought she found a keeper in a sergeant named "Joel."

"I was thinking, 'oh my God, my dream's come true, I'm going to meet an army soldier,' you know, be happy," Walker said.

"Joel" told Walker if she sent him $200, they could chat more easily. She did, but a friend quickly told her she was being scammed.

"I was like, 'no, this guy can't be a scammer, it can't be, it can't be,' I wanted this guy to be real, I started to cry," Walker said.

But her tears quickly turned to anger, and Walker started spending her time not looking for love but looking for crooks. She found picture after picture of stolen soldier identities - some of them still fighting overseas and some of them killed in the line of duty.

"It's sad, it's pathetic, it's sickening," Walker said.

The photo of "Joel" was really Staff Sgt. Shawn Mollenhour. Walker was able to track him down in Oregon.

"(I) told him the whole story, that I was dating his picture for a month," Walker said.

"I'm a married man, I have a daughter, I went to Iraq," Mollenhour said in a phone interview with CBS 5. "I guess I got hacked on Facebook. I'm not on myyearbook."

"It makes me very angry, especially a person that's lost their life doing something they believe is right and someone is using them to make money," Walker said.

If you've been the victim of a similar scam, the attorney general wants to know about it. Click here to file a complaint.

Copyright 2012 CBS 5 (Meredith Corporation). All rights reserved.

Dem, GOP leaders to get classified briefing on Russia probe

Thursday, May 24 2018 12:42 AM EDT2018-05-24 04:42:28 GMT
    Thursday, May 24 2018 8:05 AM EDT2018-05-24 12:05:10 GMT
    (AP Photo/Jacquelyn Martin). In this May 23, 2018, photo, President Donald Trump speaks to the media before boarding the Marine One helicopter on the South Lawn of the White House in Washington. Two House lawmakers who are allies of President Donald Tr...(AP Photo/Jacquelyn Martin). In this May 23, 2018, photo, President Donald Trump speaks to the media before boarding the Marine One helicopter on the South Lawn of the White House in Washington. Two House lawmakers who are allies of President Donald Tr...

A briefing Thursday about classified documents will be for just two Republican House members, both Trump allies, as Trump and his supporters in Congress press for information on the outside informant.

Investigators: Russian military missile downed Flight MH17

Thursday, May 24 2018 5:32 AM EDT2018-05-24 09:32:04 GMT
    Thursday, May 24 2018 8:04 AM EDT2018-05-24 12:04:30 GMT
    The passenger jet was headed from Amsterdam to Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia, when it was was blown out of the sky over eastern Ukraine on July 17, 2014. All 298 passengers and crew were killed. (Source: CNN)The passenger jet was headed from Amsterdam to Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia, when it was was blown out of the sky over eastern Ukraine on July 17, 2014. All 298 passengers and crew were killed. (Source: CNN)

An international team of investigators say that detailed analysis of video images has established that the Buk missile that brought down Malaysia Airlines Flight 17 nearly four years ago came from a Russia-based military unit.

North Korea demolishes nuke test site with series of blasts

Thursday, May 24 2018 6:32 AM EDT2018-05-24 10:32:00 GMT
    Thursday, May 24 2018 8:04 AM EDT2018-05-24 12:04:27 GMT
    Journalists took a long journey up to North Korea to witness the destruction of what North Korea said were nuclear sites. (Source: CNN)Journalists took a long journey up to North Korea to witness the destruction of what North Korea said were nuclear sites. (Source: CNN)

North Korea has carried out what it says is the demolition of its nuclear test site in the presence of foreign journalists.