Authorities say they've determined the cause of a fire that broke out late Wednesday night at an apartment complex in East Montgomery.
Food left unattended on a stove resulted in damaged to numerous units at the Vaughn Meadows Apartments on Vaughn Road near the Eastern Boulevard.
Flames could be seen shooting into the air high above the complex as multiple fire units battled the blaze. The fire started in one apartment around 10pm but spread throughout an entire building.
Early reports indicated all of the residents had been safely evacuated and no one was injured. However, one woman says her dog perished in the blaze.
The local Red Cross chapter is assisting residents whose apartments burned. Eight units were destroyed.
Investigators remained on the scene for several hours after the fire was extinguished.
Copyright 2012. WSFA 12 News. All Rights Reserved.