What's Working? Cincinnati Works Helps Former Outlaws Find Work - WSFA.com Montgomery Alabama news.

What's Working? Cincinnati Works Helps Former Outlaws Find Work

Bells are ringing at Cincinnati Works because one of their members just found work.

"I am very proud," said Behavioral Health Specialist Jacque Edmondson. "I'm proud of the work because I think giving someone a job is a great gift."

In September they rang the bell for Michael Powers. Restaurant Depot hired him just five days after he graduated from their job program.

"My job? Oh I love my job, love it. I'm more of a mentor, one of the oldest guys there," Powers said.

Powers' wisdom doesn't just come from age. He just quit his old job.

"I used to be a drug dealer. I though it was what I wanted to do. but after a while it got old. Prison life is just no life," Powers said. "You might as well put someone in a box."

Cincinnati Works created the Phoenix Job Program to help people off the streets and into the office. The program's week-long workshop teaches job skills like interviewing and writing resumes. More importantly, it encourages those on the wrong side of the law to do right.

Edmondson knows the economy is tough. That's why she gives her members tough love.

"If you want to help yourself, we're here for you. if you want to be picked up and coddled, we don't do that," Edmondson said.

Edmondson has worked at Cincinnati Works for ten years. But she's glad most of her members have moved on.

"I've had some members, you wouldn't recognize them today. When they came through they were critical, angry, had a negative world view, belligerent. [That] to getting an apartment, having a job, and getting a degree."

Powers is telling his story to new Phoenix members in hopes they write a better one.

"I'm an open book. I remember my mistakes so I don't repeat them. You know this is where I came from, if I can make it anyone can make it."

- Stephanie Woods

SLIDESHOW: Cat Canyon

Updated:

Click to see images from Cat Canyon More>>

The Latest: Barbara Bush's casket wheeled out of church

Saturday, April 21 2018 10:44 AM EDT2018-04-21 14:44:47 GMT
    Saturday, April 21 2018 2:58 PM EDT2018-04-21 18:58:14 GMT
    (AP Photo/Evan Vucci). Attendees arrive at St. Martin's Episcopal Church for a funeral service for former first lady Barbara Bush, Saturday, April 21, 2018, in Houston.(AP Photo/Evan Vucci). Attendees arrive at St. Martin's Episcopal Church for a funeral service for former first lady Barbara Bush, Saturday, April 21, 2018, in Houston.

Guests have begun to arrive at St. Martin's Church in Houston for the funeral of former first lady Barbara Bush.

Barbara Bush was 'first lady of the greatest generation'

Saturday, April 21 2018 12:04 AM EDT2018-04-21 04:04:04 GMT
    Saturday, April 21 2018 2:57 PM EDT2018-04-21 18:57:58 GMT
    (AP Photo/Evan Vucci). Mourners pause as former U.S. first lady Barbara Bush lies in repose during the visitation of former first lady Barbara Bush at St. Martin's Episcopal Church, Friday, April 20, 2018, in Houston.(AP Photo/Evan Vucci). Mourners pause as former U.S. first lady Barbara Bush lies in repose during the visitation of former first lady Barbara Bush at St. Martin's Episcopal Church, Friday, April 20, 2018, in Houston.

As the outpouring of tributes continues for Barbara Bush, the general public can pay its respects to the former first lady.

Trump says he doesn't think personal lawyer will 'flip'

Saturday, April 21 2018 9:14 AM EDT2018-04-21 13:14:09 GMT
    Saturday, April 21 2018 2:56 PM EDT2018-04-21 18:56:25 GMT
    (AP Photo/Mary Altaffer, File). FILE - In a Monday, April 16, 2018, file photo, Michael Cohen, President Donald Trump's personal attorney, center, leaves federal court, in New York. Federal prosecutors said they can give President Donald Trump's person...(AP Photo/Mary Altaffer, File). FILE - In a Monday, April 16, 2018, file photo, Michael Cohen, President Donald Trump's personal attorney, center, leaves federal court, in New York. Federal prosecutors said they can give President Donald Trump's person...

President Donald Trump says he doesn't expect personal lawyer Michael Cohen to "flip" as the government investigates Cohen's business dealings.