Pay It Forward: Strangers save stranded elderly couple - WSFA.com Montgomery Alabama news.

Pay It Forward: Strangers save stranded elderly couple

© CBS 5 © CBS 5
PHOENIX (CBS5) -

CBS 5 News' Pay It Forward recipients over the years have gone to great lengths to help their neighbors or even complete strangers. Sometimes even the simplest favor can mean a lot or maybe even save lives.

In Arizona, when it's 110 degrees, there really is no good place to break down on the side of the road.

That's what happened to Kathy Alexander, her ex-husband Gene Alexander and her little dog, BB, a couple weeks ago. They had a blow-out tire just south of Riggs Road on I-10.

"I was hanging on for dear life because I thought we were going to head to the shoulder and roll," Alexander said.

Luckily, that didn't happen. Eighty-year-old Gene Alexander successfully maneuvered to the shoulder but the nearest help from their family members was more than an hour away.

"I was worried a lot. We're two old people," Kathy Alexander said.

"They were both so upset and frazzled that I was getting emotional," Kathy Alexander's daughter, Jennifer Rodgers said.

The pair both have health issues that combined with the desert heat can make a simple breakdown a matter of life and death. To make matters worse, car after car on I-10 would see them and drive by.

"I actually turned around and headed home to get water and wet towels and by the time I started to hit the road, that's when she called and said these gentlemen had come out of nowhere," Rodgers said.

"A higher power brought them to our aid. I believe that," Kathy Alexander said.

About a half a mile up the interstate, Kathy Alexander noticed a truck and trailer were slowly backing up on the shoulder heading her way. Four men from Horton Plumbing in Glendale had been on their way to a job but when they saw the stranded couple they knew their job would have to wait.

Alexander's daughter didn't want that random act of kindness to go unnoticed so she arranged to thank them face to face.

"As a token of my gratitude and my appreciation for taking care of my only, my one and only mother, I'd like to present you guys with $500, as a way of paying it forward," Rodgers said as she presented the cash to Donavan McField and Reggie Horton of Horton Plumbing Company.

"I look at it this way, if that was my mom or dad, I would want someone to stop and help them," McField said.

"People are worth looking out for and taking care of today and there are good people out there," Horton said.

Copyright 2012 CBS 5 (Meredith Corporation). All rights reserved.

SIDEBAR: Pay It Forward

Updated:

Nominate someone for Pay It Forward Pay It Forward stories archive Paul's Car Wash More>>

Explosion in Canadian restaurant wounds 15 people

Friday, May 25 2018 2:42 AM EDT2018-05-25 06:42:29 GMT
    Friday, May 25 2018 4:23 AM EDT2018-05-25 08:23:07 GMT
    Canadian police say an explosion set off deliberately in a restaurant has wounded at least 15 people, some of them critically. (Source: CTV Network via CNN)Canadian police say an explosion set off deliberately in a restaurant has wounded at least 15 people, some of them critically. (Source: CTV Network via CNN)

Congressional leaders get briefings on Russia probe

Friday, May 25 2018 12:42 AM EDT2018-05-25 04:42:57 GMT
    Friday, May 25 2018 4:16 AM EDT2018-05-25 08:16:43 GMT

Republican and Democratic lawmakers have received classified briefings about the origins of the FBI investigation into Russia's election meddling.

Officials: Weinstein to surrender in sexual misconduct probe

Friday, May 25 2018 12:22 AM EDT2018-05-25 04:22:30 GMT
    Friday, May 25 2018 4:03 AM EDT2018-05-25 08:03:12 GMT
    (Photo by Chris Pizzello/Invision/AP, File). FILE - In this Jan. 8, 2017, file photo, Harvey Weinstein arrives at The Weinstein Company and Netflix Golden Globes afterparty in Beverly Hills, Calif. Law enforcement officials say Weinstein is expected to...(Photo by Chris Pizzello/Invision/AP, File). FILE - In this Jan. 8, 2017, file photo, Harvey Weinstein arrives at The Weinstein Company and Netflix Golden Globes afterparty in Beverly Hills, Calif. Law enforcement officials say Weinstein is expected to...

Harvey Weinstein is expected to turn himself in to police in New York City early Friday following a seven-month investigation into sexual assault allegations.