Former Gov. Siegelman seeks support - WSFA.com Montgomery Alabama news.

Former Gov. Siegelman seeks support

Former Governor Don Siegelman. Former Governor Don Siegelman.
HUNTSVILLE, AL (WAFF) -

Former Alabama Governor Don Siegelman is crossing the state, but he's not running for office again. He's running from a prison sentence.

He doesn't want to go back behind bars for a crime he says he didn't commit. His children have started a grassroots effort to free their father and they are asking for support and signatures.

Siegelman's daughter, Dana, started an online petition to keep her dad from going back to prison to finish his sentence on a bribery conviction. So far, she's gotten more than 5,000 signatures on this petition, but she and the family want as many names as possible to present to the president. They're hoping President Obama will commute Siegelman's six-and-a-half year sentence and later, give him a pardon.

Siegelman said his chances of a commutation of his sentence are not good, but he is holding out hope. Just last month, Siegelman was re-sentenced to more than six years behind bars for bribery after he exhausted all routes for an appeal. Siegelman's bribery conviction stems from reappointing former Health South CEO Richard Scrushy to the State Certificate of Needs board. Scrushy donated $500,000 to an education lottery campaign fund. A judge and jury considered that a bribe.

Siegelman's son, Joseph, who is in his last year of law school at the University of Alabama, is trekking across the state to help gather signatures for the "Free Don" petition. He dreads seeing his father head off to prison again, around his birthday.

Right now, the former governor knows he's going to prison on September the 11th, a day dictated by the judge, that Siegelman said was a deliberate message to him about personal freedom. He said the petition will be presented to whoever will be president after the November election.

Copyright 2012 WAFF. All rights reserved.

Related Story

Updated:

Don Siegelman sentenced to 78 months More>>

  • Trending StoriesTrending StoriesMore>>

  • Severe reaction to new sandals leads woman on a painful path

    Severe reaction to new sandals leads woman on a painful path

        One woman wants to warn people about her painful path, the result of a severe and debilitating allergic reaction.  She had no idea what she was allergic to until she visited a fourth emergency room in two weeks.    

    More >>

    One woman wants to warn people about her painful path, the result of a severe and debilitating allergic reaction. She had no idea what she was allergic to until she visited a fourth emergency room in two weeks.    

    More >>
  • 'The Phantom' serial killer of children out of prison, living in Tucson

    'The Phantom' serial killer of children out of prison, living in Tucson

    Thursday, April 27 2017 12:17 AM EDT2017-04-27 04:17:43 GMT
    Friday, April 28 2017 9:21 AM EDT2017-04-28 13:21:13 GMT
    Convicted killer William Huff was spotted riding his bicycle through a Tucson neighborhood. (Source: 3TV/CBS 5)Convicted killer William Huff was spotted riding his bicycle through a Tucson neighborhood. (Source: 3TV/CBS 5)

    William Huff terrorized Sierra Vista during the spring and summer of 1967. Despite a sentence of 40 years to life, the Arizona Board of Executive Clemency voted to release him from prison into home arrest. Family members of the victims are concerned for the safety of the community, as are new members of the Clemency Board. CBS 5 Investigates videotaped Huff riding a bike through his Tucson neighborhood. There are no restrictions placed on his proximity to children.

    More >>

    William Huff terrorized Sierra Vista during the spring and summer of 1967. Despite a sentence of 40 years to life, the Arizona Board of Executive Clemency voted to release him from prison into home arrest. Family members of the victims are concerned for the safety of the community, as are new members of the Clemency Board. CBS 5 Investigates videotaped Huff riding a bike through his Tucson neighborhood. There are no restrictions placed on his proximity to children.

    More >>
  • GRAPHIC: Buncombe Co. man admits to killing, dismembering pregnant TV chef, husband

    GRAPHIC: Buncombe Co. man admits to killing, dismembering pregnant TV chef, husband

    Thursday, April 27 2017 5:18 AM EDT2017-04-27 09:18:54 GMT
    Thursday, April 27 2017 7:27 PM EDT2017-04-27 23:27:02 GMT
    Robert Jason Owens' 2015 mug shot (Source: BCSO)Robert Jason Owens' 2015 mug shot (Source: BCSO)

    The Buncombe County man charged with murder in the deaths of a TV chef, her husband, and unborn child pleaded guilty to killing the victims and dismembering their bodies during a hearing Thursday and was sentenced to prison.

    More >>

    The Buncombe County man charged with murder in the deaths of a TV chef, her husband, and unborn child pleaded guilty to killing the victims and dismembering their bodies during a hearing Thursday and was sentenced to prison.

    More >>
Powered by Frankly