Shawnee teen electrocuted while working on computer - WSFA.com Montgomery Alabama news.

Shawnee teen electrocuted while working on computer

SHAWNEE, KS (KCTV) -

A 16-year-old Shawnee teen was electrocuted while working on his computer.

The teen was discovered dead in his home on Aug. 16. An autopsy was performed, which revealed the teen had suffered an electrical burn after he accessed the power supply area of the computer.

Further investigation revealed that the teen was working on a family computer, which was unplugged at the time, police said. Authorities believe the teen was stripping an older computer for parts.

Authorities said the boy was proficient with computers, but his death underscores the dangers of working on computers if you aren't trained to do so. Police stressed this should be left to the professionals.

Shawnee police said too many don't realize that computers carry a charge in them even when they are unplugged and broken. They urge everyone not to strip an old computer to build a new one.

"There's a real danger if you don't know what you are doing," said Shawnee Capt. Dan Tennis.

Dave Bradshaw, head technician for Skyline Computers, said too frequently people are shocked while working on computers and other electronics.

"Older-style TVs with the big tubes, there's been a lot of people electrocuted by those," Bradshaw said. "They store a huge charge in them to get the TV tube to fire up."

Microwaves, laptops, gaming consoles and other electronics have power storage areas that can shock people even when unplugged.

Bradshaw said generally the electronics have strong warnings not to remove the cover and have the device serviced by an expert.

"Too many things are inside that can actually get you hurt," Bradshaw said. "There's some ways that you can get shocked with any electrical device. But if you don't have any basic training, it makes no sense to go inside and do it."

Power storage boxes are inexpensive to replace, Bradshaw said.

"Why tear into it to replace it for $20? You're taking your life into your own hands," he said, adding it's a risk even he with all his experience won't take.

The manufacturer of the power supply has not been identified.

Copyright2012 KCTV (Meredith Corp.) All rights reserved.

  • NewsMore>>

  • 4 dead in Waffle House shooting in Tennessee; suspect sought

    4 dead in Waffle House shooting in Tennessee; suspect sought

    Sunday, April 22 2018 8:34 AM EDT2018-04-22 12:34:45 GMT
    Sunday, April 22 2018 8:19 PM EDT2018-04-23 00:19:19 GMT
    A customer at the restaurant took the gun from the suspect, who then took off his coat and fled the area. (Source: CNN)A customer at the restaurant took the gun from the suspect, who then took off his coat and fled the area. (Source: CNN)
    Police in Tennessee say three people were killed and four were injured in a shooting at a Waffle House restaurant early Sunday. (Source: CNN)Police in Tennessee say three people were killed and four were injured in a shooting at a Waffle House restaurant early Sunday. (Source: CNN)

    A customer at the restaurant took the gun from the suspect, who then took off his coat and fled the area. 

    More >>

    A customer at the restaurant took the gun from the suspect, who then took off his coat and fled the area. 

    More >>
  • Man killed in random knife attack at California steakhouse

    Man killed in random knife attack at California steakhouse

    Saturday, April 21 2018 5:44 AM EDT2018-04-21 09:44:08 GMT
    Sunday, April 22 2018 8:18 PM EDT2018-04-23 00:18:33 GMT
    (Ventura County District Attorney's Office via AP). This undated photo provided by the Ventura County District Attorney's Office shows Jamal Jackson. The homeless man has been charged with murder in a random stabbing attack in which a man was killed wh...(Ventura County District Attorney's Office via AP). This undated photo provided by the Ventura County District Attorney's Office shows Jamal Jackson. The homeless man has been charged with murder in a random stabbing attack in which a man was killed wh...

    A homeless man has been charged with murder in the death of a California father who was stabbed in the neck as his 5-year-old daughter sat in his lap in a crowded beachside steakhouse.

    More >>

    A homeless man has been charged with murder in the death of a California father who was stabbed in the neck as his 5-year-old daughter sat in his lap in a crowded beachside steakhouse.

    More >>
  • Syracuse fraternity permanently expelled over racist video

    Syracuse fraternity permanently expelled over racist video

    Saturday, April 21 2018 5:46 PM EDT2018-04-21 21:46:07 GMT
    Sunday, April 22 2018 8:18 PM EDT2018-04-23 00:18:20 GMT
    Syracuse University permanently expels fraternity for "extremely racist" video. (Source: WSYR/CNN)Syracuse University permanently expels fraternity for "extremely racist" video. (Source: WSYR/CNN)

    Syracuse University has permanently expelled a fraternity over an offensive video that fraternity members say was intended as satire.

    More >>

    Syracuse University has permanently expelled a fraternity over an offensive video that fraternity members say was intended as satire.

    More >>
Powered by Frankly