Silver's statement: 'I asked for no delay in Board action' - WSFA.com Montgomery Alabama news.

Silver's statement: 'I asked for no delay in Board action'

MONTGOMERY, AL (WSFA) -

The Alabama State University Board of Trustees met Friday morning to determine what action to take with regard to the recent allegations, brought up by Dr. Joseph Silver, of contract irregularities at ASU.

At the meeting, the board chose not to take immediate action against Dr. Silver due to his mother's recent death. They also voted to accept a resolution to allow an external, independent audit of ASU contacts.  Additionally, the board voted to approve the appointment of former ASU president Dr. William Harris as Interim President.

Dr. Joseph Silver released the following statement in response to ASU Board of Trustees meeting:

While I appreciate the sentiments of the Governor and the board of Trustees regarding the passing of my mother I expressly communicated to the board through my attorneys that matters to my personal status not be delayed because of her death.  I did however ask for a delay of action in order to exercise the due process clause of my contract.

Further, I am concerned with the Board's action appointing an Interim President. This action is premature. However, I was pleased with the Governor's request of an outside independent auditor. I look forward to meeting with the auditors to respond to any questions they may have.  I will continue to work to address all matters relating to these issues.

Also, I have noted through the various news outlets that some of my public assertions have been validated. It is my hope that in the coming weeks this matter will be fully resolved such that Alabama State University can focus on the business of educating students, facilitating faculty and staff, work in partnering with the alumni in the community on behalf of the institution.

I want to thank the faculty, staff, students, alumni, and community for huge amount of support that has been given to me. I am appreciative of and humbled by their show of support.

Copyright 2012 WSFA 12 News.  All rights reserved.

• Trending StoriesTrending StoriesMore>>

As US warns of Cuba attacks, tourists ask: Were we hit, too?

Thursday, October 19 2017 6:11 AM EDT2017-10-19 10:11:36 GMT
    Thursday, October 19 2017 8:22 AM EDT2017-10-19 12:22:54 GMT

Chris Allen's mysterious illness on a private 2014 visit to Havana illustrates how profoundly damaging the Cuba mystery has been for two long-estranged neighbors that only recently sought to patch up their relationship.

Survivors of Maryland office shooting in critical condition

Thursday, October 19 2017 3:41 AM EDT2017-10-19 07:41:36 GMT
    Thursday, October 19 2017 8:22 AM EDT2017-10-19 12:22:38 GMT

The man shot five co-workers early Wednesday in Maryland, then drove to Delaware and shot an acquaintance in the head at a used car lot, police say.

Hotel guard describes getting shot before Las Vegas massacre

Wednesday, October 18 2017 12:24 PM EDT2017-10-18 16:24:55 GMT
    Thursday, October 19 2017 8:05 AM EDT2017-10-19 12:05:35 GMT

The hotel security guard who is a witness to the deadliest shooting in modern U.S. history says he was shot while walking down a hotel hallway outside where Stephen Paddock was holed up in a suite.