LA office fines Texas Brine for failing to comply with directive - WSFA.com Montgomery Alabama news.

LA office fines company again over sinkhole

Source: Assumption Parish Office of Homeland Security and Emergency Preparedness Source: Assumption Parish Office of Homeland Security and Emergency Preparedness
BATON ROUGE, LA (WAFB) -

Louisiana officials said an additional $160,000 in fines have been issued to the company that owns the salt dome near the site of a giant sinkhole.

Louisiana Commissioner of Conservation James Welsh made the announcement of the added fines Monday evening.

Welsh said these fines follow $100,000 in penalties issued to Texas Brine earlier in the month.

He said the company continues to fail to comply with directives issued by his office on Nov. 12.

The Office of Conservation said the new penalties breakdown as:

$80,000 for continued failure to initiate installation of a containment system around the sinkhole to further prevent release of contaminants into nearby waterway

$80,000 for continued failure to install in-home monitors to detect possible natural gas accumulations and upgraded home ventilation for all slab-foundation

"The goals and mission of the state and the Office of Conservation in this situation are to take all necessary actions and measures within our legal authority to protect the safety of the public and the environment, and to get the lives of Bayou Corne residents back to normal as soon as possible," Welsh said. "If monetary penalties are what is required to provide Texas Brine with the same sense of urgency Conservation feels in addressing the problems caused by the failure of the company's cavern, then we'll continue to make clear to the company the cost of its inaction."

The new orders given on Nov. 12 amended the already existing Declaration of Emergency Directive. Welsh said they were intended to further the ongoing efforts to protect the public and the environment, reduce the impact of natural gas that had made its way to the aquifer due to the cavern and prevent crude oil from escaping the sinkhole created when the cavern wall collapsed.

Just last week, it was reported a section of land 20 feet by 30 feet was consumed by the sinkhole.

Copyright 2012 WAFB. All rights reserved.

  • NewsMore>>

  • Man finds fingernail inside his burger

    Man finds fingernail inside his burger

    Saturday, May 26 2018 9:44 AM EDT2018-05-26 13:44:14 GMT
    Saturday, May 26 2018 10:04 AM EDT2018-05-26 14:04:40 GMT
    Najib Anek says that when he bit into his sandwich, the finger nail was lodged inside the sandwich about half way through. (Source: KNXV, Maricopa County)Najib Anek says that when he bit into his sandwich, the finger nail was lodged inside the sandwich about half way through. (Source: KNXV, Maricopa County)

    Najib Anek says that when he bit into his sandwich, the finger nail was lodged inside the sandwich about half way through.

    More >>

    Najib Anek says that when he bit into his sandwich, the finger nail was lodged inside the sandwich about half way through.

    More >>
  • Giuliani says White House wants briefing on classified info

    Giuliani says White House wants briefing on classified info

    Saturday, May 26 2018 1:13 AM EDT2018-05-26 05:13:07 GMT
    Saturday, May 26 2018 10:06 AM EDT2018-05-26 14:06:40 GMT
    (AP Photo/Andrew Harnik, File). FILE - In this May 5, 2018, file photo, Rudy Giuliani, an attorney for President Donald Trump, speaks in Washington.(AP Photo/Andrew Harnik, File). FILE - In this May 5, 2018, file photo, Rudy Giuliani, an attorney for President Donald Trump, speaks in Washington.
    President Donald Trump's legal team wants a briefing on the classified materials shared with lawmakers.More >>
    President Donald Trump's legal team wants a briefing on the classified materials shared with lawmakers.More >>
  • Ebola vaccinations begin in rural Congo on Monday: Ministry

    Ebola vaccinations begin in rural Congo on Monday: Ministry

    Saturday, May 26 2018 6:03 AM EDT2018-05-26 10:03:13 GMT
    Saturday, May 26 2018 10:06 AM EDT2018-05-26 14:06:08 GMT
    A vaccination campaign continues in Mbandaka, the city of 1.2 million where four Ebola cases have been confirmed. (Source: (Louise Annaud/Medecins Sans Frontieres via AP)A vaccination campaign continues in Mbandaka, the city of 1.2 million where four Ebola cases have been confirmed. (Source: (Louise Annaud/Medecins Sans Frontieres via AP)

    Congo says confirmed Ebola cases rise to 35, with 10 deaths, as vaccinations continue.

    More >>

    Congo says confirmed Ebola cases rise to 35, with 10 deaths, as vaccinations continue.

    More >>
Powered by Frankly