Thursday, April 24 2014 8:14 AM EDT2014-04-24 12:14:31 GMT
Your purse is not the place where you think you might find some items that could poison your pet. On Thursday's FOX19 Morning News, Diana Dornbusch Cron, a veterinarian at Glenway Animal Hospital in GreenMore >>
Your purse is not the place where you think you might find some items that could poison your pet.More >>
Thursday, April 24 2014 11:19 AM EDT2014-04-24 15:19:29 GMT
A Toledo mother was sentenced Thursday morning after a jury found her guilty of killing her 6-month-old son last week. Amanda Bacon has been sentenced to life in prison with eligibility for parole.More >>
A Toledo mother was sentenced Thursday morning after a jury found her guilty of killing her 6-month-old son last week. Amanda Bacon has been sentenced to life in prison. She will be eligible for parole.More >>
A group of angry parents want the superintendent of Tiffin City Schools removed from her position and have started circulating a petition.More >>
A group of angry parents want the superintendent of Tiffin City Schools removed from her position and have started circulating a petition. More >>
(Toledo News Now) -
You've heard about devastating medication errors happening with people, but pet owners listen to this: the FDA just issued a new warning because investigators are finding prescription mistakes happen with pet meds too.
All Sarah Schuck has left of her beloved 8-year-old Labrador, Rafter, is a collar, pictures, and fond memories.
"It was really hard," said Schuck.
Hard, because it shouldn't have happened. Schuck says the drug store that filled Rafter's prescription made an error. His prescription bottle label said to give Rafter "two and one-fourth teaspoons." According to Schuck, the dosage her vet called into the pharmacy was for much less medication: "two and one-fourth CCs."
The overdose, combined with Rafter's health problems, was too much. Schuck says she had to put him to sleep.
"It was a tough realization," said Schuck.
Just days after Rafter's death, the FDA issued a warning about a pattern of pet prescription mistakes.
FDA investigators discovered errors stemming from simple issues including:
-Drugs with similar names
-Simple penmanship errors
"The consequences can be completely devastating," said veterinarian Dr. Howard Silberman.
Silberman takes prescription precautions at his office. All medications and dosages are typed into a computer, only vets or vet techs fill prescriptions, and pet's pictures are printed on the label so there are no mix-ups.
"We do a tremendous amount to make sure that those things don't happen," said Silberman.
The FDA says while mistakes happen at vet-based pharmacies, when pet prescriptions are filled in "human pharmacies," like in Rafter's case, different systems may be to blame.
"Abbreviations are a common cause of errors" because prescription shorthand taught in veterinary schools is different than in medical schools. Some pharmacists may not be as familiar with vet abbreviations.
"Currently most of the pharmacy curriculums don't touch upon vet medicine," said Carmen Catizone with National Association Boards of Pharmacy.
Pharmacy insiders say if pet owners shop around to find the lowest cost on pet meds, they need to do their research.
"Their primary concern should always be whether or not that pharmacist is knowledgeable in the area of veterinary medications; price should be a secondary consideration," explained Catizone.
How can you avoid a pet prescription mix-up? The American Veterinary Medical Association says communication is key. Make sure the pharmacist speaks to your vet if there are any questions. The FDA advises you should verify the name and dosage of your pet's drug with your vet.
Schuck says she hopes Rafter's legacy lives on to help other pet owners avoid medication mistakes.
"Don't be afraid to ask questions," said Schuck.
FDA investigators also found pet medication errors stemmed from pet owners misinterpreting labels and accidentally giving pets human drugs.