6-year-old boy playing X-Box saves family from fire - WSFA.com Montgomery Alabama news.

6-year-old boy playing X-Box saves family from fire

Posted: Updated:
  • More newsMore>>

  • 10 Things to Know for Today

    10 Things to Know for Today

    Wednesday, September 17 2014 7:22 AM EDT2014-09-17 11:22:21 GMT
    Your daily look at late-breaking news, upcoming events and the stories that will be talked about Wednesday:More >>
    By The Associated Press Your daily look at late-breaking news, upcoming events and the stories that will be talked about today:More >>
  • New IS video warns US over Iraq deployment

    New IS video warns US over Iraq deployment

    Wednesday, September 17 2014 6:54 AM EDT2014-09-17 10:54:33 GMT
    The militant Islamic State group has released a video warning the United States that fighters await it in Iraq if President Barack Obama sends troops there, as he and his top general said may happen.More >>
    The militant Islamic State group has released a video warning the United States that fighters await it in Iraq if President Barack Obama sends troops there, as he and his top general said may happen.More >>
  • Student hit by car in Montgomery continues to recover

    Student hit by car in Montgomery continues to recover

    Wednesday, September 17 2014 6:40 AM EDT2014-09-17 10:40:24 GMT
    A Montgomery student hit by a car after school is showing signs of improvement after weeks in the hospital. The community has rallied around his family as he continues to heal. The accident outside CapitolMore >>
    A Montgomery student hit by a car after school is showing signs of improvement after weeks in the hospital. The community has rallied around his family as he continues to heal. The accident outside Capitol Heights Middle School in Montgomery shed more light on safety concerns for students in the area. More >>
BROWNSVILLE, TN -

(WMC-TV) - Seven people were inside a 100-year-old house on Windrow Road in Brownsville when fire broke out.

The family inside made it out alive thanks to a 6-year-old boy.

Taylor Hendrix was up late playing X-Box at his grandparents house around 4 a.m. Saturday when fire erupted inside.

"It started in the attic and came down the chimney," Hendrix said.

"He came in there and he was screaming papa, papa the house is on fire," said his grandmother, Paula Brown.

Brown and her husband, Mike, were all inside the burning house, along with five of their grandchildren.

When little Taylor woke them up, they quickly ran outside.

"Lost everything...everything we own," added Mike.

Brown used a water hose behind the house to try and put the fire out. But, it was too involved.

"Thank God he was up. He's my little hero. That's my tater-bug," the boy's grandmother said. 

As a tree next to the house continued to smolder, Taylor and his family looked at the damage for the first time.

"It happened so quick, seven minutes, maybe 10 at the most...it was all done," Mike Brown said.

Brown is a meter reader in the city of Brownsville.

He says city employees and many local churches are pitching in to help them rebuild.

"Everything's gone. Gotta move on. Can't live in the past...pick up and start over again," Mike explained.

As this family tries to move on, they say they will be forever thankful.

"My grandson saved my life. He most certainly did," said Paula.

If you'd like to reach out and help Mike and Paula Brown, you can reach their family by calling 731-443-2882.

Copyright 2013 WMC-TV. All rights reserved.

 

 

Powered by WorldNow