Thursday, July 24 2014 2:35 AM EDT2014-07-24 06:35:51 GMT
The U.S. Supreme Court cleared the way for Arizona to carry out its third execution in the past year Wednesday following a closely watched First Amendment fight over the secrecy surrounding lethal injection drugs.More >>
A condemned Arizona inmate gasped for more than an hour and a half during his execution Wednesday before he died in an episode sure to add to the scrutiny surrounding the death penalty in the U.S.More >>
Thursday, July 24 2014 12:52 AM EDT2014-07-24 04:52:54 GMT
Dozens of Palestinian families trapped by clashes between Hamas militants and Israeli troops are scrambling to flee a southern Gaza Strip neighborhood as Israel reported that two more of its soldiers have died in...More >>
The United States announced signs of progress in cease-fire talks Wednesday, but prospects for a quick end to the fighting were dim as Palestinian families fled fierce battles in southern Gaza and the death toll rose to...More >>
Thursday, July 24 2014 12:37 AM EDT2014-07-24 04:37:16 GMT
Scam artists are targeting customers of the Central Alabama Electric Cooperative, or CAEC, according to company officials.CAEC is issuing an alert to its members, as well as the general public, to be awareMore >>
The phone rings and the caller demands payment and threatens to shut off your power if you don't hand over bank or credit card information. Central Alabama Electric Cooperative and other Alabama co-ops are having it happen to customers and they don't want others to fall prey to con artists. More >>
MONTGOMERY, AL (WSFA) -
"You still had everything we needed for patient safety," says Nurse Kelly Benson.
Except for the shock factor, employees at Baptist Medical Center South didn't skip a beat.
"Everything inside the nurses' station was fully operational," adds Benson.
The hospital quickly switched to generator power seconds after an electrical explosion knocked out the lights.
"We immediately go in to what we consider an internal disaster," says Chief Executive Officer, Robin Barca.
The blast was small--a hole in the middle of a metal conductor.
Getting to it, though, was no small task.
The piece was two stories underground and only accessible by a ladder.
Not to mention, there was a delay getting the new part. The only place officials could find one was Minnesota.
"We then contracted with a truck and two drivers that could drive straight through all 1,200 miles, even in the midst of a snowstorm," adds Barca.
Meanwhile, hospital administrators camped out in what's called the hub--two rooms where officials could monitor the medical center around the clock.
"Where we need to know what's going on with the hospital and what resources we have available," says one administrator.
Essential patient services weren't affected. In fact, anything plugged in to red emergency outlets received generator power.
Things like overhead lights, and televisions did not.
"We were able to get newspapers and magazines for the patients," adds Benson.
"We really were doing everything we could to take care of them," adds Barca.
Because the overhead lights were out many nurses wore head lamps to administer shots and medications.
Administrators also circulated a letter for patients explaining what happened and why certain non-essential services were unavailable. They ordered extra conductors from the Minnesota company just in case something similar happens again.