AZ woman pays it forward to volunteer handyman - WSFA.com Montgomery Alabama news.

AZ woman pays it forward to volunteer handyman

© CBS 5 © CBS 5
GLENDALE, AZ (CBS5) -

After a Valley woman had her copper pipes vandalized, she was strapped for cash, until a stranger lent a hand.

"I walked out my front door and I noticed that there was water all over the ground and I looked and my pipe was spraying water everywhere," Nancy Ochtman, of Glendale, said.

Ochtman had to spend all of her extra monthly money on new pipes and had very little left over for a steel cage to protect her investment.

At the time, she didn't tell that to Chris Follin, a manager at Empire Metal Products, but he must have seen it in her face.

"We don't normally do installations. That's not part of our business, but I offered to do it aside from the company, after work, to put it in," Follin said.

"I said, 'how much do I owe you?' and he said, 'No, I told my boss about your situation and he said, don't charge her anything,'" Ochtman said.

"I was so amazed, I started crying actually," Ochtman said.

In order for Ochtman to get Follin back to her house to pay it forward to him, his boss, Sal Farina, told him he was in big trouble.

He told Follin that Ochtman was very unhappy with his work and that she had even called a news crew to grill him.

But when Follin arrived, Ochtman awarded him with $500 and thanked him for his kindness.

"I got set up pretty well, I thought we were walking into a pretty upset customer for an emergency scene over here, so it was quite a surprise," Follin told CBS 5 News.

"You don't really find a lot of people who are willing to go the extra mile and when you do, you really want to thank them for doing it," Ochtman said.

"Really it's just the appreciation of the people that makes it all worthwhile, but this is fantastic," Follin said.

Copyright 2013 CBS 5 (KPHO Broadcasting Corporation). All rights reserved.

• breaking

Trump cancels North Korea summit

Trump cancels North Korea summit

Thursday, May 24 2018 9:50 AM EDT2018-05-24 13:50:52 GMT
    Thursday, May 24 2018 10:00 AM EDT2018-05-24 14:00:02 GMT

"Sadly, based on the tremendous anger and open hostility displayed in your most recent statement, I feel it is inappropriate, at this time, to have this long-planned meeting," according to a statement released by the White House on Thursday.

Dem, GOP leaders to get classified briefings on Russia probe

Thursday, May 24 2018 12:42 AM EDT2018-05-24 04:42:28 GMT
    Thursday, May 24 2018 10:03 AM EDT2018-05-24 14:03:51 GMT
    (AP Photo/Jacquelyn Martin). In this May 23, 2018, photo, President Donald Trump speaks to the media before boarding the Marine One helicopter on the South Lawn of the White House in Washington. Two House lawmakers who are allies of President Donald Tr...(AP Photo/Jacquelyn Martin). In this May 23, 2018, photo, President Donald Trump speaks to the media before boarding the Marine One helicopter on the South Lawn of the White House in Washington. Two House lawmakers who are allies of President Donald Tr...

A briefing Thursday about classified documents will be for just two Republican House members, both Trump allies, as Trump and his supporters in Congress press for information on the outside informant.

North Korea demolishes nuclear site ahead of Trump summit

Thursday, May 24 2018 6:32 AM EDT2018-05-24 10:32:00 GMT
    Thursday, May 24 2018 10:03 AM EDT2018-05-24 14:03:45 GMT
    Journalists took a long journey up to North Korea to witness the destruction of what North Korea said were nuclear sites. (Source: CNN)Journalists took a long journey up to North Korea to witness the destruction of what North Korea said were nuclear sites. (Source: CNN)

North Korea has carried out what it says is the demolition of its nuclear test site in the presence of foreign journalists.