15 Ross Bridge resort guests complain of carbon monoxide poisoni - WSFA.com: News Weather and Sports for Montgomery, AL.

15 Ross Bridge resort guests complain of carbon monoxide poisoning

Posted: Updated:
A total of 15 guests at the Ross Bridge resort complained of carbon monoxide poisoning due to a malfunctioning heater at the hotel. Source: WBRC video A total of 15 guests at the Ross Bridge resort complained of carbon monoxide poisoning due to a malfunctioning heater at the hotel. Source: WBRC video
Renaissance Ross Bridge Golf Resort and Spa. Source: WBRC video Renaissance Ross Bridge Golf Resort and Spa. Source: WBRC video
  • More newsMore>>

  • Boxer Rubin 'Hurricane' Carter dies at 76

    Boxer Rubin 'Hurricane' Carter dies at 76

    Sunday, April 20 2014 2:22 PM EDT2014-04-20 18:22:44 GMT
    Former midddleweight boxer Rubin Carter has died. (Source: Flickr) Former midddleweight boxer Rubin Carter has died. (Source: Flickr)
    Rubin "Hurricane" Carter, the boxer whose wrongful murder conviction became an international symbol of racial injustice, has died at 76.More >>
    By GREG BEACHAM AP Sports Writer Rubin "Hurricane" Carter, the boxer whose wrongful murder conviction became an international symbol of racial injustice, died Sunday. He was 76.More >>
  • Alabama State Trooper shot in Geneva Co.

    Alabama State Trooper shot in Geneva Co.

    Sunday, April 20 2014 2:21 PM EDT2014-04-20 18:21:13 GMT
    Alabama State Troopers are confirming to WSFA 12 News that one of their officers was shot Saturday afternoon in Geneva County. Details remain limited, but authorities say the officer is being treatedMore >>
    Alabama State Troopers are confirming to WSFA 12 News that one of their officers was shot Saturday afternoon in Geneva County.
    More >>
  • Ukraine, Russia trade blame for shootout in east

    Ukraine, Russia trade blame for shootout in east

    Sunday, April 20 2014 1:03 PM EDT2014-04-20 17:03:52 GMT
    The Ukrainian and Russian governments are reporting a shootout at a checkpoint set up by pro-Russian insurgents in eastern Ukraine that has left one person dead and others hospitalized with gunshot wounds.More >>
    Within hours of an Easter morning shootout at a checkpoint manned by pro-Russia insurgents in eastern Ukraine, Russia's Foreign Ministry issued a statement blaming militant Ukrainian nationalists and Russian state...More >>
HOOVER, AL (WBRC) -

Two floors of the Ross Bridge resort have reopened after 15 guests complained of carbon monoxide poisoning. All of the guests have sought medical treatment. Resort general manager Steve Miller says he's visited 11 of the guests and says they are doing well.

The Hoover Fire Department responded to the Renaissance Ross Bridge Golf Resort and Spa around 6:30 a.m. Friday after getting a report of an unconscious person who was having trouble waking up. That person eventually woke up and complained of disorientation.

Hoover firefighters found a family at the resort also complaining of symptoms similar to carbon monoxide poisoning.

A family of four from Florida that checked out of the hotel Wednesday were also contacted and also complained of flu-like symptoms that were likely a result of the carbon monoxide poisoning.

The Hoover Fire Department treated 11 guests on the scene and transported them to Princeton Baptist, UAB and Brookwood hospitals for further treatment and observation.

Fire officials said the fifth and sixth floors at Ross Bridge were affected by carbon monoxide due to a malfunctioning heater. When the heater was deactivated, the symptoms disappeared.

Other areas of the hotel were tested but the problem was contained to only those two floors.

Officials say the fifth and sixth floors have reopened except for the rooms closest to the duct-work connected to the heating.

The hotel's general manager Steve Miller says the problem has been addressed and the faulty piece of equipment has been "locked and tagged out." He said the hotel is now operating as normal.

Hoover Fire Lt. Rusty Lowe says that there are no carbon monoxide detectors at the resort. When it was built, Alabama building codes did not require hotels to install the devices, Lowe said. The code has been modified since the resort was built and new hotels must have the detectors.

Hoover fire officials credited the person who called for help because numerous folks had the same symptoms, a sign of carbon monoxide poisoning.

A resort spokesperson says that management will meet Monday, April 1 to discuss Friday's situation.

Copyright 2013 WBRC. All rights reserved.

Powered by WorldNow