$8 million bond for suspected kidnapper Ariel Castro - WSFA.com Montgomery Alabama news.

$8 million bond for suspected kidnapper Ariel Castro

Ariel Castro in court Ariel Castro in court
Amanda Berry, Gina DeJesus and Michelle Knight Amanda Berry, Gina DeJesus and Michelle Knight

The man suspected of holding three women captive inside his west side home for years was in court on Thursday morning.

Ariel Castro, 52, is charged with four counts of kidnapping and three counts of rape. Castro did not speak a word, and hung his head during much of the court proceeding. His bond was set at $8 million dollars. [Charging documents]

Amanda Berry, Gina DeJesus and Michelle Knight were rescued from Castro's Seymour Avenue home on Monday. The women had been held against their will and sexually assaulted for years.

Berry went missing in 2003 a day shy of her 17th birthday. DeJesus disappeared as she walked home from school in 2004 at the age of 14. Knight went missing in 2002 at the age of 21.

Before a crush of media and massive cheering crowds, Berry and DeJesus returned home on Wednesday. Knight was readmitted to the hospital and is listed in good condition.

Deputy Chief Ed Tomba said the women only left the house two times in 10 years. Both times they went from the house to the garage, and they were in disguise.

Castro's brothers, Onil and Pedro, will not face any charges at this time. Authorities say Onil and Pedro were arrested only because they were with Ariel at the time of his arrest.

Onil and Pedro did also appear in court on Thursday on the unrelated charges. They were released from jail around 10:30 a.m.

Copyright 2013 WOIO. All rights reserved.

  • NewsMore>>

  • Next Minneapolis police chief tasked with changing culture

    Next Minneapolis police chief tasked with changing culture

    Saturday, July 22 2017 1:49 AM EDT2017-07-22 05:49:17 GMT
    Saturday, July 22 2017 8:53 PM EDT2017-07-23 00:53:39 GMT

    Minneapolis police chief says she wants to let 'fresh set of leadership eyes' be in charge of department, resigns amid criticism over shooting of Australian woman who had called 911.

    More >>

    Minneapolis police chief says she wants to let 'fresh set of leadership eyes' be in charge of department, resigns amid criticism over shooting of Australian woman who had called 911.

    More >>
  • Trump's new message man deletes inconvenient tweets

    Trump's new message man deletes inconvenient tweets

    Saturday, July 22 2017 4:20 PM EDT2017-07-22 20:20:31 GMT
    Saturday, July 22 2017 8:52 PM EDT2017-07-23 00:52:25 GMT

    One of Anthony Scaramucci's first acts after accepting President Donald Trump's offer to be the new White House communications director was to apologize to Trump.

    More >>

    One of Anthony Scaramucci's first acts after accepting President Donald Trump's offer to be the new White House communications director was to apologize to Trump.

    More >>
  • Trump: USS Ford is '100,000-ton message to the world'

    Trump: USS Ford is '100,000-ton message to the world'

    Saturday, July 22 2017 3:30 AM EDT2017-07-22 07:30:57 GMT
    Saturday, July 22 2017 8:52 PM EDT2017-07-23 00:52:10 GMT

    President Donald Trump will help commission the USS Gerald R. Ford, a $12.9 billion warship.

    More >>

    President Donald Trump will help commission the USS Gerald R. Ford, a $12.9 billion warship.

    More >>
Powered by Frankly