Wednesday, April 16 2014 12:34 AM EDT2014-04-16 04:34:55 GMT
The anniversary of the Boston Marathon bombings promises to be a day of tributes to the three people who died, the more than 260 people who were hurt, and the first responders, doctors and nurses who helped them.More >>
Survivors, first responders and relatives of those killed in the Boston Marathon bombing marked the anniversary Tuesday with tributes that combined sorrow over the loss of innocent victims with pride over the city's...More >>
A government office says a South Korean passenger ship carrying about 470 people has sent a distress call off the southern coast after it began leaning to one side.More >>
Dozens of boats, helicopters and divers scrambled Wednesday to rescue more than 470 people, including 325 high school students on a school trip, after a ferry sank off South Korea's southern coast, killing at least two...More >>
Wednesday, April 16 2014 12:26 AM EDT2014-04-16 04:26:08 GMT
The Auburn University Department of Public Safety & Security and Auburn Police Division are aware of information being circulated about a threatening message posted in an Auburn University campus bathroom,More >>
The Auburn University Department of Public Safety & Security and Auburn Police Division are aware of information being circulated about a threatening message posted in an Auburn University campus bathroom, according to an AU ALERT sent out Tuesday night.More >>
Wednesday, April 16 2014 12:04 AM EDT2014-04-16 04:04:06 GMT
Zachary Heath Belitz. Photo courtesy Phenix City Police.
The Phenix City man who is accused of exposing his private parts in public pled guilty to several charges in court on April 15.More >>
The man known as the Phenix City flasher was in court today and pleaded guilty to several charges. Zachary Belitz was in court this morning charged with seven counts of indecent exposure. He pleadedMore >>
Tuesday, April 15 2014 11:53 PM EDT2014-04-16 03:53:58 GMT
Opelika Mayor Gary Fuller announced on Tuesday that Pharmavite will be expanding its manufacturing facility in Opelika to accommodate growing demands. Pharmavite is one of the nation's largest manufacturersMore >>
Opelika Mayor Gary Fuller announced on Tuesday that Pharmavite will be expanding its manufacturing facility in Opelika to accommodate growing demands.More >>
CLINTON, MO (KCTV) -
A Missouri girl got her hands on a powerful medicine that ended up killing her, but it wasn't pills or any liquid.
Sadly, the emergency call police got in Clinton over weekend is not that uncommon - the result of a powerful pain killing patch. And it is not just teens looking to get high.
Oftentimes, it is much more innocent mistakes that turn deadly.
A cross in the front lawn of Destiny Spitler's home marks a significant and sudden loss.
"Always happy. Bubbly. She was very bubbly," former babysitter Mary Hawkins said.
The 12-year-old girl's grandmother described Destiny as loving, giving and caring.
"She loved to sing. She sang all the time. But apparently she was a very curious little girl that we didn't realize," Diana Spitler said.
Destiny's grandma uses fentanyl, a powerful pain patch, to manage her back pain.
When Destiny died in her sleep Saturday morning, investigators found one on her thigh.
What prompted the 12-year-old to affix it is unclear, but her grandmother said Destiny pulled it from the trash.
"It was a patch that was from last Tuesday. And she put it on," Diana Spitler said.
Toxicologist Dr. Stephen Thornton, with the University of Kansas Hospital, said he has seen many cases where children have overdosed on a patch tossed in the trash, sometimes thinking it is a sticker.
"Once you use that patch and you take it off, it still has about 50 percent of the fentanyl that was started with," Thornton said.
That is why it's important to consider not just how people store their medications, but also how to dispose of it.
It's something Destiny's grandmother didn't know and something she wants others to hear.
"Mothers, fathers ... anyone who wears these dang patches, dispose of them, fold them up in tiny little pieces and flush them down the stool so your babies won't be like mine," she said.
That is exactly what doctors recommend - crumple it or fold it, then flush it.
People may have heard before not to flush medicine because it contaminates ground water, but there are a handful of medications the FDA does recommend flushing because they are so dangerous for children, and this is one of them. Click here for more information.
At this point, police aren't certain if the fentanyl itself killed Destiny or if it was an interaction with medication she was taking that was prescribed to her.
They expect to have a more conclusive autopsy report in six to eight weeks.
Copyright 2013 KCTV (Meredith Corp.) All rights reserved.
Clinton police investigate after girl found dead with pain killer patchMore>>