Woman survives, displaced by Springfield apartment fire - WSFA.com Montgomery Alabama news.

Woman survives, displaced by Springfield apartment fire


Officials said a woman is lucky to be alive Saturday night following a fire in her apartment.

The fire happened on the third floor of a 34-unit complex on Girard Avenue just before 7 p.m.

Dennis Leger, aide to Fire Commissioner Joseph Conant, told CBS 3 that the woman who lived in the apartment fell asleep while she was cooking something on the stove.

Leger said on top of that, the woman had covered the apartment's smoke detector, saying it was too sensitive.

At least 100 people were evacuated from the building while crews fought the fire. Leger says the apartment suffered $25,000 in damage.

The woman, as well as the residents in the apartment beneath her unit, are being helped by the Red Cross.

Copyright 2013 WSHM (Meredith Corporation). All rights reserved.

Powered by Frankly