Suspected kidnapper Ariel Castro back in court - WSFA.com: News Weather and Sports for Montgomery, AL.

Suspected kidnapper Ariel Castro back in court

Posted: Updated:
Ariel Castro in court on Wednesday Ariel Castro in court on Wednesday
Amanda Berry, Gina DeJesus and Michelle Knight Amanda Berry, Gina DeJesus and Michelle Knight
Ariel Castro's Seymour Ave. home, Cleveland's west side Ariel Castro's Seymour Ave. home, Cleveland's west side
Ariel Castro's backyard Ariel Castro's backyard
Investigators at Ariel Castro's Seymour Avenue home Investigators at Ariel Castro's Seymour Avenue home
  • More newsMore>>

  • Australia, Netherlands start to secure crash site

    Australia, Netherlands start to secure crash site

    Friday, July 25 2014 9:44 AM EDT2014-07-25 13:44:41 GMT
    The Ukrainian army has reported rebel attacks overnight throughout the restive east, claiming that at one border crossing the rebels were supported by artillery fire from the Russian side.More >>
    A small group of Dutch and Australian investigators walked the sprawling, unsecured site where Malaysian Airlines Flight 17 went down as their governments prepared police detachments that will try to protect the crash area...More >>
  • Officials: 3 Palestinians killed in West Bank

    Officials: 3 Palestinians killed in West Bank

    Friday, July 25 2014 9:44 AM EDT2014-07-25 13:44:13 GMT
    An Israeli defense official says the Security Cabinet is meeting to discuss international cease-fire efforts, but also the option of expanding its eight-day-old ground operation in Gaza.More >>
    Palestinian hospital officials say three Palestinians have been killed in the West Bank, which has become increasingly restive because of a war between Israel and Hamas militants next door in the Gaza Strip.More >>
  • Deal still elusive for Gaza cease-fire

    Deal still elusive for Gaza cease-fire

    Friday, July 25 2014 9:30 AM EDT2014-07-25 13:30:58 GMT
    Turbulent negotiations to broker a temporary truce in the Gaza Strip are continuing against the backdrop of fresh Israeli attacks on Palestinian militants.More >>
    Turbulent negotiations to broker a temporary truce in the Gaza Strip are continuing against the backdrop of fresh Israeli attacks on Palestinian militants.More >>
CLEVELAND, OH (WOIO) -

With his head hanging down, suspected kidnapper Ariel Castro went before a judge on Wednesday morning.

Castro refused to make eye contact with anyone, but did answer the judge when questioned. He provided a simple answer of 'yes' when asked normal questions about the proceedings. Castro also said he has no questions for the court.

Defense attorneys entered a plea of not guilty for Castro earlier this month on nearly 330 charges, including murder. They said in court on Wednesday that they hope to visit Castro's Seymour Avenue home in the near future.

Castro is accused of holding Amanda Berry, Michelle Knight and Gina DeJesus captive in his Cleveland house for more than a decade before they were rescued on May 6.

Berry gave birth to his daughter while in captivity.

Castro's defense attorneys said they are willing to plead guilty to all the charges, but murder. They are hoping the prosecutors will drop the murder charges so they can avoid a lengthy trial and spare the women from testifying.

The judge made sure to tell the prosecutors and Castro's defense team that any potential plea deals must be written out in full first.

Castro remains jailed on $8M.

His next court date is slated for June 26 at 8:45 a.m.

Right now, his trial date is set for August 4, but that should change after Castro waives his right to a speedy trial.

Copyright 2013 WOIO. All rights reserved.

Powered by WorldNow