Florence, Edgwood, Elsmere banning pop-up fireworks tents - WSFA.com Montgomery Alabama news.

N. Ky. cracking down on temporary fireworks stands

(FOX19) -

Some cities in Northern Kentucky are cracking down on temporary fireworks stands. Officials say it's a safety measure and want to make sure all fireworks are sold in permanent establishments.

Florence banned the pop-up tents in 2012, and now Edgewood and Elsmere are doing the same.

On Monday, Dan Wilmont and his daughters went fireworks shopping at Phantom Fireworks. He says hearing about the different cities doing this is refreshing because it's scary to think about buying something that isn't regulated.

"I got kids of my own so I'm all with the safety," Wilmont told FOX19's Brett Hoffland.

Phantom Fireworks manager Jerad Lebretton says this has actually helped their business, and they're trying to eliminate some of the negative stigmas associated with fireworks.

"A lot of the unprofessionalism that you see in some manufacturers and sellers, we're trying to overcome that," said Lebretton.

The Elsmere ordinance states that nobody shall 'engage in the sale or possession of fireworks for sale within the city of Elsmere outside of a building'.

"I've been going to the tents buying stuff. I didn't know it was dangerous but I guess I will start going here more often," said Wilmont.

Two years ago, the Kentucky General Assembly allowed the sale of larger, more powerful fireworks, which is one reason many cities want to see stricter enforcement of some out of state vendors who set up tents throughout the region.

"Being able to sell out of a physical structure helps. Having trained employees and safety videos that we have available here at the store and online," said Lebretton.

"You got to show your ID. You got to really go through some stuff to get some fireworks," said Wilmont.

The local fire departments are in charge of enforcing any violations. First a cease and desist order is given to the fireworks stand owner.

If they fail to comply, they could face legal action. 

Copyright 2013 WXIX. All rights reserved.

  • NewsMore>>

  • Freed after 2 years, man jailed in Venezuela returns to US

    Freed after 2 years, man jailed in Venezuela returns to US

    Saturday, May 26 2018 9:53 AM EDT2018-05-26 13:53:22 GMT
    Sunday, May 27 2018 6:04 AM EDT2018-05-27 10:04:38 GMT
    Senator Corker’s office tweeted out an image of Josh Holt and his wife before leaving Venezuela. (Source: Twitter/@SenBobCorker)Senator Corker’s office tweeted out an image of Josh Holt and his wife before leaving Venezuela. (Source: Twitter/@SenBobCorker)

    A Utah man has been released from a jail in Venezuela after spending nearly two years behind bars on weapons charges.

    More >>

    A Utah man has been released from a jail in Venezuela after spending nearly two years behind bars on weapons charges.

    More >>
  • Seoul: North Korea committed to US summit, denuclearization

    Seoul: North Korea committed to US summit, denuclearization

    Saturday, May 26 2018 9:23 PM EDT2018-05-27 01:23:54 GMT
    Sunday, May 27 2018 6:04 AM EDT2018-05-27 10:04:31 GMT
    (South Korea Presidential Blue House/Yonhap via AP). In this May 26, 2018 photo provided on May 27, 2018, by South Korea Presidential Blue House via Yonhap News Agency, North Korean leader Kim Jong Un, center left, and South Korean President Moon Jae-i...(South Korea Presidential Blue House/Yonhap via AP). In this May 26, 2018 photo provided on May 27, 2018, by South Korea Presidential Blue House via Yonhap News Agency, North Korean leader Kim Jong Un, center left, and South Korean President Moon Jae-i...

    At the White House, President Trump said negotiations over a potential June 12 summit with North Korean leader Kim Jong Un that he had earlier canceled are "going along very well." 

    More >>

    At the White House, President Trump said negotiations over a potential June 12 summit with North Korean leader Kim Jong Un that he had earlier canceled are "going along very well." 

    More >>
  • Oklahoma restaurant shooting victims recovering

    Oklahoma restaurant shooting victims recovering

    Saturday, May 26 2018 4:03 AM EDT2018-05-26 08:03:40 GMT
    Sunday, May 27 2018 5:29 AM EDT2018-05-27 09:29:05 GMT
    (Sarah Phipps/The Oklahoman via AP). Police officers stand at the scene of a shooting on the east side of Lake Hefner in Oklahoma City, Thursday, May 24, 2018. A man armed with a pistol walked into Louie’s On The Lake restaurant at the dinner hour and ...(Sarah Phipps/The Oklahoman via AP). Police officers stand at the scene of a shooting on the east side of Lake Hefner in Oklahoma City, Thursday, May 24, 2018. A man armed with a pistol walked into Louie’s On The Lake restaurant at the dinner hour and ...
    Authorities say a Facebook page in which a man claims his television is possessed by the devil belongs to the man suspected of shooting three people at an Oklahoma City restaurant before being killed by two armed...More >>
    Authorities say a Facebook page in which a man claims his television is possessed by the devil belongs to the man suspected of shooting three people at an Oklahoma City restaurant before being killed by two armed bystanders.More >>
Powered by Frankly